HybridZ

Crossbreed?

Warren

tfreer85... Thanks, the exhaust cut out wasn't an option. It's the picture, and really doesn't look all that bad in person...different strokes I guess...

Sparks280zt...Thanks, I didn't either till I saw a pic of a white one and really didn't care for the black & silver 2 tone anyway...

wigenOut-S30...Thanks, In due time...in due time...

Scottie-GNZ... Thanks, From a man of few words, "WOW! Nice." means ALOT...

Kracker_Jax... Thanks, I like it too, and that's all that counts, right? I and a friend who is a body man with 43 years of experience did all the work. 85+ hours of metal work and welding just on the rear end...

Confused... Thanks, Me too...

Clayborne... Yes, that is the MSA Style II Body kit, bonded on with 3M Panel Bond, and moulded in with Fiberglass then coated with Evercoat. You can just about stand on it without cracking it. VERY VERY STRONG...

Mike Kz... Thanks Mike. It's getting there...

BillZ260... Thanks, takes alot of work, but it CAN be done...

DaleMX... Tried to find decent ZX Taillights...couldn't get a nice set. Decided to look for basically flat panel mounts that didn't look like 18 wheeler lights. 05 Mustang came out and I said, "That would look neat"...and voila!

DavyZ... Thanks, I wondered about that myself, but in person it does look QUITE different. Gabe is right, they are 3" tips and it only looks wierd in the picture. In person, they're quite large enough. It's just the angle of the pic and the fact that the front end is off the ground a bit in the pic, putting the pipes closer to the ground...

Frank280ZX... Thanks, it's not a race to get it done, just happens to be that time for me. Still have other things to do, but cosmetically, it's finished. You'll get there...just keep plugging away...

Oldestzguy... Thanks, I'll remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...Good luck, it wasn't a weekend project, but it CAN be done...

drftn280zxt... Thanks...that's what I was looking to achieve...something clean and not obtrusive, yet replaceable with new parts should the unthinkable happen...I'd kill 'em...

wigenOut-S30... Thanks for the explanation, and you're right...dual 4" would look ridiculous...

DavyZ... Thanks again, and it IS the picture, and the fact that the car is on wheel dollies up front...

Drftn280zxt... It's the angle of the picture...remember, the front end is raised a bit and trust me, this design IS complete...heck, it's already painted...

Brad-ManQ45... Thanks Brad, you're not supposed to expose the signatures that make it truly one-off...

frank280zx... Posse??? I'll beg your pardon...but yes, flush DOES look much sleeker.

FINALLY, Caught up...WHEW!

• 1 year later...

hey warren

i am still trying to fiquire out how u did it, i have mine now and have trimmed the black extra on the side and top.

i would really love to know how u trimmed them and if u made new cases for them?

i watched y'r video but its hard to tell how u managed it. i would just hate to ruin the lights as it took a bit to get them

any help would be appreciated .

thanks bob

hey warren

i was reviewing y'r video , and i noticed it looks like u used buckets to mount the lights , are they from the mustang or were they made, they look factory, but i'm not sure.

i have trimmed the sides of the light itself and have cut off one of the mounting screws as it seemed in the way, anyway, could u let me know as i am at a standstill because i don't want to ruin the lights as they are expensive especialy if i cut them up and its not right.

later bob

Yes Bob, they are actual parts from Ford...the buckets are modified by adding approximately 4" of steel to the outside edge and made to mount flush with the rear panel. You've already messed up if you cut off one of the mounting bolts since they're required to mount the light in the bucket and make adjustments with washers as necessary. You could still use it, but it might rattle, unless you put the screw part back on.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner...been away from the computer and actually missed your post from last week.

Warren

hey warren

better late than never,

anyway i did ford yesterday after posting here, they have a part but its the complete piece that goes across the rear end, at $300. i then called the local JY and they say they sell the parts with the complete rear quarter panel. so thats out.

i think i have to go to ford and try to show them the part on a real car and see what happens then.

as well how did u trim the black plastic around the edge of the light. i used a small trimmer on my electric dremmal.

btw if anyone has ever watched the video "get over it" by warren u would know its not photoshop. but it looks that good that it could be.

later bob

All you need from Ford is the bucket backs themselves (the part that the screws go through that hold the light onto the car) and the associated wiring harnesses and grommets, other than the lights. The rest is hand fabricated, trimmed, or otherwise beat into shape.

A little imagination and some pondering time will come in handy and go a LONG way as far as trimming the black trim around the lights. I used a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and lots of trial and error.

BTW, the rear panel (white sheetmetal in the video) was the side of a Ford Aerostar cargo van, where the rear side window would go if it weren't a cargo van.

Told ya it wasn't easy.

Also, just to keep in the true "HYBRID Z" spirit, it should be noted that my car has a Datsun body & engine, a GM transmission, Ford rear taillights and Hyundai side markers, not to mention NUMEROUS aftermarket parts that weren't designed for a Z and several parts from other Z or ZX models.

Warren

All you need from Ford is the bucket backs themselves (the part that the screws go through that hold the light onto the car) and the associated wiring harnesses and grommets, other than the lights. The rest is hand fabricated, trimmed, or otherwise beat into shape.

thats what i was trying to find they say its the complete piece but i will have to have another go at them, and if nessasy maybe i will use the back shield off the 280 zx. also i think i have done a not too bad of a job trimming the black plastic, once i make sure its OK i will do the other one which is new.

btw i do have the light socket and wiring , so thats a plus. I will keep at it and see what happens. I spend last night changing the wires and plugs on my 86 300zx. but what a difference today, well worth the 5 minutes it takes to change them LOL ( i wish)

thanks for the info ....bob

very very nice!!!

u do realize that its a joke about the 5 minutes. it hard to believe what is involved in changing the plugs until u do it , i think i spend over 1 and 1/2 hrs. it is a new car to me so i had to make sure the pockets where the plugs go were clean out first, i don't know when the last time they where changed, these was alot of dirt there.

but like i said it was well worth it, the only problem is making sure the new wires are put on correctly especially #6 , does anyone have any suggestions?

opps .. don't want to change the intent of this thread , sorry.

bob

hey warren

i went to our local auto salvage today, 2.5 hr round trip, anyway the pieces a seen on the back don't look like they would be able to be removed and reworked so now that i know that i can proceed and make something myself. sometimes it good to get a close personal look at thinks to help decide what to do.

but i di pick up e rear spoi;er for my 86 know to paint and install it.

later bob

Bob, I got mine right after they came out. The parts I used were independent of any other panels. Perhaps they used to be available and have now been incorporated into another panel, although I don't see how they could be due to the complexity of their shape. Metal doesn't stretch quite that far, even in a press without some form of distortion.

The pieces I got from Ford were only the very interiormost panels and were not much larger in overall size than the back side of the light assembly itself. Perhaps you should check at the body shop of your local Ford dealer. Talk to the parts guy there and ask him to look them up...(hint: Think 2005, not 2006).

Hope it helps,

Warren