HybridZ

Chevy 350 Engine Iol and coolany capacities...

The oil capacity could vary from vehicle to vehicle. Do you know what the engine came out of? A good base line would be 5 Quarts.

As for the coolant, just fill it till its full. Most are around 10-14 quarts depending on radiator size, heater core size, and the amount of hose ran.

Guy

Ok, i have a full 6 Qts of oil in the engine and it wont even read anything on the dipstick. Im gonna get 5 more Qts today. Should i keep adding oil until i get it to register on the dipstick? I also tried to pre-lube the engine with a long screwdriver and a drill but i couldnt get the oil to squrt out of the lifter rods. Not enough oil? PSI? Faster drill maybe??

HELP! I wanna drive my new V8Z!

Thanks in advance!

A couple of things to look at. Unless your have a HUGE oil pan, you should have plenty of oil to prime the motor. Did you check the oil pick-up to make sure it is fine? Is your dip stick properly seated in the block? Is the dip stick going in properly? (with my 4 bolt mains the dip stick needed a tweak so it did not hang up on the main) How fast are you turning the oil pump? Mine required a drill running at a high RPM until the oil all primed and then it was tough to turn, but the oil pumped great. WAs your oil filter filled first? Most chevys pump from the pan then to the oil filter and then to the motor. If you did not prime the filter it will need to fill first.

My oil pan is 6 quarts and then 1 quart for the filter plus 1/2 quart for the remote oil lines and I was able to prime my motor with 3 quarts of oil easily.

Once you get the oil primed and it is coming out of the push rods, turn the motor over by hand to get all of the oil journals full.