HybridZ

Crank Harmonics

clint78z

They started with such promise:

"We don't call them "dampeners" because the correct word is "damper.""

Then they 'dampened' my parade:

"but most of the pulleys out there are not dampened"

They shoulda/coulda called up a local university and had some undergrad engineers snag them some harmonic data. Matlab (and now Octave) can do some fun stuff with the data :)

http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater/vtoolbox/vtoolbox.html

Well... technically they were correct. dampened is the past tense of dampen. Not to be confused with the name of the parts: Dampers

Main Entry: damp·er

Pronunciation: 'dam-p&r

Function: noun

1 : a dulling or deadening influence

2 : a device that damps : as a : a valve or plate (as in the flue of a furnace) for regulating the draft b : a small felted block to stop the vibration of a piano string c chiefly British : SHOCK ABSORBER

So... a pulley that is not dampened is not a damper. :-D

technically that is accepted. But I would never talk like that in front of my vibrations professor ;)

I would have used 'damped' instead of dampened. Especially after going thru the effort of saying they are 'dampers' not 'dampeners' i.e. something that damps' date=' not dampens.[/quote']

Lol... so many ways to say it! I was looking at it from a dictionary perspective... you're looking at it from an engineering point of view. Two different worlds, eh?