HybridZ

What will fit under a stock hood?

what all have you guys fit under a stock hood, and a carbed sbc?

Anyone running carb spacers?

airgap intakes?

Single plane intakes like a team-g

obviously a drop base aircleaner

i need to know becuase im trying to figure out where i want to take this project.

part of me wants a sleeper, but with a cowl hood, thats out the window.

If i dont run a cowl hood, then i still have to deal with the hardest problem when having a sleeper, is hidin the sound, which takes a big muffler or 2, which i dont think will fit under a bu.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The air gap is the same height as its standard counterpart. So his I believe is the performer Air gap which would be 4.92" at the tallest point (according to my edelbrock catalog).... I had a performer rpm manifold at one point and it fit under the stock hood and it was 5.25" tall at its highest point. I had a stealth manifold at one point and it was just a tad shorter.... BTW this was all with a edelbrock 600cfm carb and a 2" drop base filter but I also had a pro-flo filter that still cleared.

Guest FasterbyFosta
I put together a 75' 280Z with the JTR setup. It had a sbc, edelbrock torker II intake, holley 750, and edelbrock dropbase air cleaner. It all fit with room to spare under the stock hood.

I used a victor Jr. with a holley 750 and a K&N drop base vented top air cleaner. (3 inches tall I believe) and it just barely cleared. This was on a JTR style setup.

I used a victor Jr. with a holley 750 and a K&N drop base vented top air cleaner. (3 inches tall I believe) and it just barely cleared. This was on a JTR style setup.

Jsut barely, thats what i was lookin for....

Im lookin to run a single plane intake, with a holley 780.. that should clear.

thanks guys

I have a JTR V8 install on a 240 with a stock hood. And a regular Performer RPM with a 1/8" thick throttle cable plate under a Holley 750 carb (3310) and a drop base air cleaner with 2 inch air clearner, barely fits. I get a little paint clipping under the hood because of the air cleaner stud. That is close!

I have the complete JTR install which includes the 0.5" spacers between the body and the front crossmember. This gives a little more carb space.

I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the intake (under the carb) for N20 foggers. Then mounted a 1 gallon fuel cell and Mallory comp70 pump by the radiator for the N20. Then ran racing fuel in the 1 gallon tank. 1 gallon of fuel would last 1 30lb bottle of N20 with a 175hp shot. I couldn't use a N20 plate with the RPM intake because there was not enough room.

I did try a short team-G intake, single plane and it did fit with a 1" N20 plate.

Hmm, so maybe a regular team g would fit, with no spacer. That would totally suck if i got this all built, and i couldnt shut the hood. If worse comes to worse, i could always temporarly run to aircleaner :(

Off topic, There is soo many people in texas on here im noticing.. do yall ever meet?

I have a JTR V8 install on a 240 with a stock hood. And a regular Performer RPM with a 1/8" thick throttle cable plate under a Holley 750 carb (3310) and a drop base air cleaner with 2 inch air clearner' date=' barely fits. I get a little paint clipping under the hood because of the air cleaner stud. That is close!

I have the complete JTR install which includes the 0.5" spacers between the body and the front crossmember. This gives a little more carb space.

I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the intake (under the carb) for N20 foggers. Then mounted a 1 gallon fuel cell and Mallory comp70 pump by the radiator for the N20. Then ran racing fuel in the 1 gallon tank. 1 gallon of fuel would last 1 30lb bottle of N20 with a 175hp shot. I couldn't use a N20 plate with the RPM intake because there was not enough room.

I did try a short team-G intake, single plane and it did fit with a 1" N20 plate.[/quote']

I'm using a Performer RPM intake. Holley 4150 625cfm carb. No carb spacers. 14 inch typical drop base 2.625 tall K&N filter. About 1 inch of clearance to inside of hood at hold down wing nut. All depends how your engine is mounted.

Use clay and close the hood checking the distance available works the best.

I would guess a regular height team-G would fit. I believe there are three different team-G's for the sbc, all of various heights. The taller the team-G intake, the higher the power band. However, I like the performer rpm better for all around performance. It has good low rpm power and pulls hard to valve float (7200 rpm).

There is a Z club in SA, but I have never been to one of their meetings. I hear they meet once a month at a local burger joint (Chesters). Something like the first Tuesday of each month.????

A few friends of mine have Z's and I have three of them myself so we kind of have our own little Z club at my house. I'm too busy just trying to get all my cars into shape, fixing up my old house, helping out with my new baby boy, and other family matters. I'm just lucky to spend a few hours a day out in the garage working on Z's and drinking a few beers. So, no car club for me for awhile.

Check here to see the setup from JIm's car with what amounts to A Voctor Jr. Intake with a custom air horn for FI... http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and click on the red Zcar...

I also used the Ramairbox.com unit on my Victor Jr./ BG Demon Carburetor combo under the stock hood.. just be sure to get the drop base design!

Mike