HybridZ

Microtech w/ 6 coils... sure.. pics inside!

PhaTTy

Hehe, I think I will have enough sparks with this setup (for my '83 N/A 280zx to go turbo eventually)

I have a Microtech LTX-8 system in the car, and this seemed to be a logical way to go since the coils were only $16 each.

Reason I did this is because we were having trouble finding a workable coil pack setup that we could actually have work and look good. (No we didn't want to spend a ton of money on bosch dual tower coils or mess with a mount for the GM 3.8L dual tower coils).

All the wires are even length, and they will not have to go over top the engine since the coils are going to be mounted on the passengers side. Should clean up the look quite a bit.

So, what do you guys think of the idea?... probably way overboard but hey, if one or 2 of the coils fail it will still be able to run.

Here are the pics! Eat your heart out, hehehe :-D

P9130010.JPG

Pro-1 Adjustable FPR w/ guage - $90 brand new :)

P9130011.JPG

Super professional weld job ehh...

P9140012.JPG

With equal length taylor 8mm spiral-core wires

very interesting setup. the 6 coils looks very agressive. i look a bit on the website. that set-up is pretty pricey. very kool good work. i think if i did that setup id make a mount that bolts onto the valve cover and have each coil right above its cylinder upside down. that would make the spark wire super short. maybe number the bottoms of the coils but i think im killing the idea haha.

and where did you get that FPR i want that very nice

neat idea but seems like alot of weight and space taken up. Whats the downside of retrofitting some type of coil-on-plug system like many modern cars use such as BMW and the z32 (i think). These could be mounted easily and seems as if htey would provide more then enough spark.

-Austin

Yes.. it is wasted spark setup. The coils all have +12v supplied to them via the red wires, and the MT ECU controls the grounds, which come straight from the ECU. They are batched in groups of two. 3,4 on bottom. 2,5 middle. 1,6 up top.

looks like possibly a wasted spark setup where he is firing two coils at once by controlling the ground... i dunno *shrug*

Hey KAZU' date='

What year coils did you use?

Turbo or non turbo.

Any part #`s for the coils ?

Do you have any close up pixs of your mounting solution?[/quote']

They are from twin turbo but I guess NA coils are identical to those of TT.

Intermediate shaft was removed from the coil because it is too long.

Bracket is made from aluminium angle. I used two threaded holes on later N42 head for mounting points. P90 heads have rear mounting hole but earlier N42 heads only have front mounting hole. If the rear mounting hole doesn't exist on your cylinder head, one of the head cover bolt can be used.

PIC01.JPG

Kazu