HybridZ

L20a

rudypoochris

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/pts/98569291.htmlthis man is selling an L20A which got me thinking. In the Datsun manual it says that the L20A has a much smaller bore and stroke (yet it does not rev higher?) and only makes 115hp. Is it possible to overbore this engine alot before getting to the walls. Does anyone know if this is essentially the same block as the L24 simply destroked and with a smaller bore. If so if the engine had the room for a good overbore it could become like a destroked 240z engine that with headwork would be able to spin to some pretty high rpms... right? Or is the head still the major limiting factor here. Thanks!

I'll let you know when we get ours on the dyno.

In Japan, many back in the day would use the service liners for the L24, overbore the L24, and install the crank and other internals into the block---that way they got the advantage of the larger displacement, but didn't have to pay the taxes required for something over 2000cc's.

Other than running in a displacement limited class, or doing a Fairlady Z restoration, the engine is about useless.

Better is to take the crank and put it in the L28 block. That gives you 2.5L, which was the formula for the GTU cars campaigned by some back in the late 70's and early 80's...

Both the 240Z and the 510 could compete in GTU at the time if I recall....

I know if you use an E88, you gotta relieve the bore SERIOUSLY with the stock diameter pistons in it!