HybridZ

1971 w/AC

Lunar240z

I have a '71 240z that came with the ARA a/c it's not hooked up, the compressor was gone when i bought it. i know i want a/c back eventually, so my question is, am i better off getting a completely new a/c kit from MSA, and removing all the ARA stuff, or should i try to piece all of the ARA system back together? What would cost more? what set up is probably lighter? thanks.

I have the same car, same ARA dealer installed A/C, and same question. Right now, I leaning to reuse the ARA evaporater, a 280 condensor and dryer, a Civic A/C fan, and the GM compressor that came with my motor. But, I'm also considering the smallest Vintage Air. The advantage, as I see it, to Vintage Air is that every thing is well matched and it will, in fact, work and work well. A bit pricey and I'm not too hot at fabricating mounts.

///

Basically you would gut the heat and a/c unit of the Z. The Vintage Air unit would mount in it's place. The smallest is on the scale of 9"x7"x19". The blower motor forces the air thru the combo coil assembly (blower fan are designed to push not pull). The ARA pulls through the evaporator and pushes through the heater core. The only two downsides of the combo unit is recirculated air only and the a/c and heater cores are integrated. If one goes you replace the core as a unit. The upside is compactness, effectiveness, and longivity if you maintain your coolant system.