HybridZ

turbo engine built, questions about durability

Muskrat

Well, its been quite the long time since I've last posted, but I'd like to make sure I'm not forgetting something critical or have a bad parts mismatch before I progress much further.

The car started its life in my posession with the origional 124k L24/E88, which I later swapped out for a homebuilt L28/N47 setup with SUs, header, and full exhaust. After the high compression NA motor died from a combination of critically low oil levels and my own stupidity, I started collecting parts for what was supposed to be a stock L28ET swap. Being horribly afflicted with 'while i'm at it syndrome' as I am, it quickly became another massive project.

**Edit: I should probably add that this is a weekend/track driver that I'd like to make 350rwhp on, reliably, cruising to work and back.**

My main concern at this point is the internal engine components that I origionally intended to clean up and reuse, namely the stock turbo pistons. I'd very much like to upgrade to flattop forged pistons and a 2mm metal headgasket. The block itself has already been to the machine shop once, I don't mind sending it back to get the bores resized, and the block surface decked. Should I just look away and leave the stock pistons with new rings in the block, and run it as is, or strip the engine down again and rebuild it with Arizona Z car forged pistons and 240z rods?

Internals:

* ARP 9mm rod bolts, 12 point head studs, and main studs

* Nismo timing chain set, with cam gear

* Clevite .25mm main and rod bearings

Turbo conversion parts:

* Megasquirt running MSNS extra software and upgraded MAP sensor

* Zeitronix Wideband oxygen sensor

* MSD 6A

* manual boost controller

* 60mm throttle body w/ ported '75 intake manifold

* JSK fuel rail and TB spacer

* adjustable fuel pressure regulator

* intercooler, bar and plate 18x12x3" core

* 40mm external wastegate

* SST hybrid GT35R/ T3 turbo

* 2.5" mandrel intercooler piping, silicone couplers, T-bolt clamps

* 3" mandrel exhaust, Magnaflow muffler and Dynomax resonator

Drivetrain:

* solid front differential mount

* urethane transmission mounts

* 81 nissan 5-speed transmission

* Exedy 2100lb clutch kit, sprung organic disk

* Fidanza 10.5lb 240mm aluminum flywheel

Fuel system:

* LT1 Camaro gas tank and evap system (I got it for free, can't really complain)

The head is going to recieve a light cleanup and port matching before going to the machine shop to get a valve job, light surfacing, and new stem seals. I do have a pair of spare heads to practice on first.

If anyone feels I'm missing something critical from this setup or have any concerns, please voice them. I've taken my time getting this together, and I'd like to get it right.

I was looking at the AZC pistons because they're conveniently pre-packaged with rings and pins. I would actually like to use a flattop piston for this setup paired with a 2mm headgasket. If my math isn't wrong, that should put me around 8.2:1 compression, which seems perfect to me. As far as use, I'm looking for 350rwhp in something I can drive to work and back for grins, and then make the hour drive to the 1/4mile at Ennis afterwards.

I made a few assumptions when I did the calculations. The main one being if they use 240z rods due to a shorter piston pin height, and are already flattops without valve reliefs, that they will be near or below zero deck height to avoid valve contact. Of course, I've been horribly wrong before when making an educated guess, so who knows?

**Edit: I used the Sydney Z car club engine calculator, and assumed a .030 positive deck height of the stock Z pistons and a 87mm bore with a true flattop piston. It spit out 8.16:1, which I rounded up to 8.2:1 because I'll more than likely have the head surfaced a tiny amount to assure a good headgasket seal. If anyone has actually installed the AZC pistons and measured the final deck height of the piston, by all means post your findings.**

Detination is do to the engine running to "hot". Could be cause by other things but usually its because of the air/fuel mixture running a bit lean. Can be fixed by bumping up the fuel presure and/or putting higher rated injectors. Just keep it mind if detination shows up in your build.