HybridZ

R200 Vs R230

Bimmerman

I was wanting to know if the R230 is worth the extra trouble/money/time to install into a car with about 400-500HP? All so if I go with the R200 what is the best gear ratio to get, and what is the going price on these rear ends intodays market?

Lets say I choose to go with the R230 how hard is it to install? What extra has to be done? I have searched but wanted to talk to some people who have done it first hand to get a better idea.

I am not sure on the r230 stuff but the ratio would depend on where your power band is. If your power is in the higher revs you might want a 3.9 if it is in the lower end then you might go with a 3:54 or even higher. It also bepends on the gearing in your transmission. There are a lot of factor in chosing the right rear end ratio.

Well IMO its a matter of the torque numbers you are expecting. A lot of torque in a split second causes things to break. For that the higher the torque the lower the gear ratio so it would be less likely to break something. If your peak torque numbersa are in the upper RPMs then I would worry about it too much, but better safe than sorry.

I can't say anything about installing a r230, but it looks like a lot of fab work that is needed.

Hello this is John with jnjdragracing. We run a R200 and have not had any problems with it. We estimate we are pushing around 750 hp. We will be taking it to a dyno before long to see. We are currently running a 3.90 gear ratio. But we are hazing the tires about mid track, So next time we go out for a run we will be switching to a 3.54 ratio to see if it helps with the tire hazing, more or less taking power from the engine. I am not sure about the R230, but the R200 should be just fine. Just remember about the angel of the u-joints. If you want more detail email my brother jerry@jnjdragracing.com. He does all the figuring for the drive train. Hope this helps, we also just weld up the diffirential to possi.

John