HybridZ

350 Oil Pan issues

I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of oil pan I have on the engine that i installed into my V8-240Z. I guess there is some sort of special dipstick that im supposed to use for it, being that there is a spout for one...however, figuring out which one to get is proving to be more trouble than its worth...I have a high volume pump installed. Can i get by with a stock aftermarket pan? or should i go for a bigger one? Is it an issue for a mild daily driven V8 with a high volume pump? I dont wanna starve the engine of oil because of the pump. My main consern is not knowing how much oil to put in and putting in too much and blowing my seals or too little and messing up my cam break-in and damage my engine. Is I think that stock pans are 4 qts...where as aftermarket ones are up to 7 or 8. As stated before....this is a daily driven car with the occasional drag race.

Thanks

If it's a stock appearing pan, approx 7 1/2" deep with no kickouts, then 5 - 5 1/2 quarts including the filter is a safe bet. You won't have to worry about blowing any seals, excessive windage, or starving the engine.

Canton makes a real nice stock appearing pan with some baffles if you want to change it out. For street use and the occasional drag race either will do fine.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I think in 78 or 79 chevy swaped the dipstick to the passenger side you may have the wrong pan. A high volume pump is really not neccesary unless you have an extremely high rpm capaple engine or are running wider than normal bering clearances. These pumps caust hp and can sometimes suck the pan dry. The stock chevy pan is 4 quarts and the filter is one. Morroso makes a nice 7 quart kicked out sump pan.