HybridZ

Flat Head Ford in a Z?

SuperKid

Guest hotdodge440
Yeah, I really like the idea of a flat head Z. I could even get a vanity plate that says, "FLT HED Z" or something like that. Finding a flathead isn't that difficult. There's usually a few on eBay, and there's a rather large hot rod community here so I bet I could find one without much difficulty. Parts for them aren't much more expensive than a normal V8 engine. There are EFI kits for them, blowers for them, even a kit to mount a C-4 transmission to them. I think the only difficult part about it would be fabbing up mounts. Although for fabbing up mounts, I could probably buy one of those plastic reproductions. It would make putting the engine in and out of the car alot easier if I could just pick it up by hand. I'll have to put some thought into it, talk to some people, and see what developes.

If you need an adapter for a flathead to a t-5 5speed let me know I can set you up with a friend of mine, he builds them for the rodders , Now that would be cool! :-D Matt

• 6 months later...

i think it would be cool but those flatheads are heavy. my dad had one he was going to rebuild and put in his 34 ford flatbed. with the engine bare on the engine stand it was bending and almost breaking the bolts. Man the amount of metal in those blocks and transmissions amaze me. they didnt want them breaking ever!

paint it flat black and make the exhaust exit behind the front tires...!!:flamedevi

We are lucky to have a car (240,260,280,300Z) that has an engine compartment that is large enough to take so many types of engines. Another good possiblility would be a rotory engine. On the Ford side, whatever fits, works. For a daily driver, a small block Ford is hard to beat, because of size, weight, power, drivability, cost etc. but for some of us, we are only limited by our own ideas,(and money) so I think a Ford flathead is a great idea. I have an abundance of Ford FE engines, so I had thought about installing one in an extra 240Z that I have, but after lots of measureing I decided not to at this time. A flathead should fit without cutting. Good luck.

Guest ZeeVette

I see Mike already beat me to the advice on an Ardun flathead. I know a guy in Richmond, Va., who builds Ardun flatheads for Bonneville racers, don't tell him you can't get power out of em, lol. his name is Willie Glass. BTW, Ardun stands for Arkus Duntov, the father of the Corvette. Before he worked for GM, Mr. Duntov was commissioned to get more power from the Ford flathead V8 for trucks. A fleet of garbage trucks in a major city (I forgot which one) was having problems making it up the hills. By the time he re-engineered the flathead, they had come up with some other solution, so he ended up selling the stuff he had to hot rodders.