HybridZ

Where's the cop around when you need one?

auxilary

Coming home tonight, an ******* in a Lexus is tailgating me. It's a 2 lane (each way) road, speedlimit is 35. I'm doing 40 in the right (slow) lane. Guy next to me is doing about the same.

The asian guy in the lexus is getting excessively impatient because he wants to go faster. I'm in the slow lane, in a new car, I have no particular desire to exceed the limit I know cops set traps on frequently.

Now he starts tailgating me so close I can see wrinkles on his face. At this point I can see him yelling and flipping me off as he attempts to jump lane to lane, and then back behind me.

Lo and behold, he does not see the cop coming the other way. Or if he does, he ignores the cop. The cop, however, does not ignore him. He proceeds to flip a bitch over the railroad tracks and median, do a mini dorifto and pull the guy over right behind me! I stopped at the next light, and saw the extremely unhappy cop get out of the car.

Vindication!

Hehe we are always around;) but the problem is, sometimes there just are not enough of us around. Glad to see the tailgater got his. You would probably be surprised at how few officers actually patrol your town on a given day or night.

On another note, older cops sometimes get lazy and stopping cars is no longer something that they want to do. We have a term for these kinds of officers. We call them “road officers.†Road stands for “retired on active duty.†Unfortunately, they will be that way until they actually do retire proper.

However, you can run across a “traffic nazi†who will stop you at 3:00am on a four-lane highway for doing 10 miles over the speed limit even if there are no other cars on the road. These are the same cops who will write you that ticket for having a blown taillight or tag light. Most will grow out of this stage after a while and settle down a bit, and…you guessed it, one day will become road officers. :)

A similar thing happened to me last night. I was driving home at 9pm from my brother's house and there was a black dodge truck, i think it had a hemi, so close to my rear bumper that I could smell his bad breath. I was in the leftmost lane doing like 83. When he had enough room to go around, he nailed it and jumped in front of me. If it wasn't for me forseeing his horrible driving skills and hitting the brakes, he would have hit the front right side of my car, and I had my wife and sleeping 10 month old daughter in the car. I don't mind it if some people drive fast, as I do it all the time, but you need to be courteous and carefull around other cars. I can't believe some idiots out there. I see some really stupid stuff driving to work everyday.

hey Georgia Flash, question for you, im a bit stumped on-I was at work tnite, and sum buddys were doing burnouts in the back lot after it closed, and when i was pulling out of the lot i noticed that there was a cop staring at us the whole time from across the street. Why didn't he flip on the lights, is it becuz hes not allowed to since its private property, or is it becuz he was just enjoying the site. BTW this is a seafood restrant, nuthing gov't related at all.

glad you had a good time with a cop... as my last one wasnt very enjoyable..

on my way to Dead Romans (dustin) powdercoating shop about a month or so ago i was driving on a main highway with abunch of ppl.

the whole pack of cars were going about 82 or so in a 75.

i think i was going about 79 to 80 as i was in the back of the pack fadding back bit by bit.

we pass a cop (highway patrol) in a Z28 on the other side of the highway, who has somebody already pulled over.

so i dont think anything of it, and i keep my speed.

i see him SHOOT out and burn rubber and then into the grass and chace after us (me).

i had a feeling he was after me so i pulled over in the left lane and waited for him to come up.. he did and i pulled over.

he gets out and ask me to get out of the car as he said he didnt want to be hit by a car.. i understood and said sure.. took of my belt and went to the back of the car.

there he asks me a 100 questions.. like why i have florida tags and etc, why am i in houston, what kind of school i go to, why am i going towards dallas, why cant i go to a place in houston who does powdercoating, how i no the guy in dallas, etc etc etc.

i was nice and answered every question, even joked abit when he asked about my Yellow Scion Xb.. i called it stupid and gay and said ya its a dumb car but gets good gas mileage and etc. just trying to be nice.

he then asks if he can search my car, i said sure.

he puts me in cuffs and puts me in the back of the cop car, with windows down and car off.

i ask if he can turn my car off as it was on and very very low on gas. he said sure....

my car was VERY messy. i had 2 wheels in the back, work clothes everywhere, and etc.. but hell it my damn car.

a HOUR LATER he walks back to the cop car (he was chatting with another cop that pulled up for abit) and gets me out and 1st thing he says is "your car is a mess" and me being a tad pissed said "well i wasing exspecting any company" he goes.. dont be a smart *** boy..

now he never turned my car off so it ran out of gas, and was drainning the battery down. he gave me a ticket for 86 in a 75, and while searching threw my car he threw some car parts on the ground and broke a few things.

he wouldnt even give me a ride to a gas station to get some gas!!!!!!!!!!

so when i was walking back to his car i asked where he got his cowboy hat... "where you get that hat sir, in the womans department of macy's??" then i just sat in my car while he drove off.

what a dickhead!!!

had to wait over a hour for some nice guy that had a gas can on them to give me some gas..

and i was thinking of being a cop!

mike

and i was thinking of being a cop!

mike

And we have a name for these types of cops as well "assholes."

Mike you cannot judge every cop by the few bad apples out there. And always remember that most if not all departments have a way for the public to make complaints against bad officers such as this one that you ran into. Next time tell him you are in a hurry and you do not have time for your car to be searched, see what he does. If he puts you in cuffs and searches it anyway then he will be in a heap of trouble.

By the way most police cars especially the highway patrol have video cameras that are mandated by the department to always be rolling on traffic stops. I would file a formal complaint against this guy in a heartbeat!

On a consent search, which is what you consented to, you have the right to refuse. Otherwise, the only way the officer can get into your car then is if there is something illegal lying in plain view such as dope or possibly a firearm partly concealed under your front seat or elsewhere. Alternatively, if the officer smells something like burning marijuana or fresh marijuana or whatever then he can go into your car without a warrant and search the entire car.

Also if you refuse the consent search and there is a K9 Officer working then more than likely he will be called to the scene to "walk his dog" around your vehicle. If the K9 alerts on your vehicle, then the officer can search also without your consent. If you are arrested for a violation, then the officer can search your vehicle incident to arrest.

Courts these days are frowning more and more on situations just like yours Mike. Whereas the officer stops someone for a seemingly minor infraction, speeding in your case, and without reason (probable cause or reasonable suspicion) detains someone for an unreasonable amount of time. To me an hour in the back of a cop cruiser is UNREASONABLE if you are not doing anything wrong!

Like I said, do us all a favor and complain on this guy. Who knows you may be surprised to find that he has many other citizen complaints that have been filed against him. We have several officers working at our department that have a knack for getting complained on and a couple of them have been put on notice that the next founded complaint will be their last.

Remember a consent search can be refused and nothing can legally be done to you for refusing such search.