HybridZ

auto-air water based paint update

Ferd/289

I did a HybridZ search on Auto-Air paints and noticed that there was some interest a couple of months ago.

I read an article in 'Mustangs and Fast Fords' mag that briefly mentioned that they recommend using Auto Air Paints at home for the base coats, then take to a shop for urethane clear coat finishing. This sounded really neat to try for a home based painter not wanting breath isocyanates. I read some posts in made in 8/05 and wondered if there is any more experience with these paints. I think RacerX was thinking of using for a home project

Ferd

I know that Auto Air claims to have improved their product quite a bit, and there has been some hype lately, such as a write up on some guy out of L.A. doing a hood in a truck magazine. But I've never used it and no one I know never has, we simply don't trust it yet. Also, FWIW, we looked into getting it in our shop in Lodi, and after repeated promises to have a rep call us, we gave up.

I am just a novice painter, so all I can tell you is what I have found out about this stuff.

I bought some 4 oz. bottles from my local rep. He did not seem interested in the product at all. His bread and butter business is still the "usual suspects" in the paint business.

I own a cheap airbrush, so I started to fart around with the little bottles of paint. I taped up some random stripes and weird patterns on a spare fender. I have. I really like using the paint. I put down the white base, then a coat of metallic silver then some feathering of metallic green. The stuff does dry pretty fast, so moving along was very easy. Just like on TV.

I did paint over acrylic enamel. Cleaning up with water is a great benefit.

I also got very lucky at my local Pearl Art Store. I found three gallons of the Auto Air Paint on closeout for $20.00 each! Of course the colors are not to my taste, but for just practicing with the stuff, who could ask for more?

Anyway, the paint has cured with the help of a heat gun. It is very durable. It seems to have taken to the base paint very well. I even carefully sanded down the high edges of my taped up work without much problem. The paint seems to color sand as well as the enamel underneath.

At this point this is as far as I have gotten with the stuff. My work has taken me away from the garage for a while. I need the $ for more stuff.