HybridZ

AutoX - odd tire setup

After failing miserably to fully enjoy autocross on street tires, I want to run R comps, but like most of us, money is definately an issue.

I then remember that I have a set of hoosier DOT slicks on my old 14" rims somewhere in storage. Unfortunately, these won't fit up front, my brakes are too big. I'm fairly certain that they would fit in the rear, so I'd like to explore that possibility a bit. Both the street tires and the hoosiers have a width of 225, but the hoosiers' overall diameter is smaller.

I was thinking that I might even run an event with the hoosiers in the rear and my street tires up front. I may not be able to turn much harder or brake harder than with 4 street tires, but I might be able to put some more power down.

I figured I'd run it by a fellow local autocrosser, and he didn't like the idea. He thinks the car would push dramatically, and that it wouldn't be fun to drive. He was also concerned about uneven heat response.

My thought process was like this: most of my turning/braking is on the front tires, so of course I won't be able to turn or brake much harder than before. But with more grip at the back, I would be able to be more aggressive with the gas. I was thinking that I would never be able to fully utilize the turn/braking grip of hoosiers in the back because it just isn't there up front. I would only be able to utilize a little more accelleration.

Any thoughts or experiences anyone would care to share? Feel free to embarass the rookie, I don't mind...

IMO grip on the front is more important than grip on the back at autox. Seen many cars that slide the *** end all over the place that still post good times. Never seen a car that plows do well at autox ever.

You might look into buying some used slicks, there are companies online that sell them. These won't be DOT, they'll be real slicks which puts you in FP, but they'll also be REAL FUN.

If you don't want to get your butt whipped in FP save some cash for some Kuhmos. Fast but not as fast as Hoosiers but far more durable.

Thanks, Jon.

I agree, front tires are definately the most important, which is why I wouldn't be turning/braking any better. The hope was putting pedal down a little earlier. My friend seemed to think that having the hoosiers in the rear would be worse than running all four street tires...which seems odd to me.

I probably could find a way to get some Kuhmos, but I need a new set of rims, too. That brings the total up a little too tall for me.

Unless there is a relatively cheap/light set of 16" rims that I don't know about. I would love to get a 2nd set of my 11 lb. SSRs, but thats a little more cash than I've got...

find a road racer who goes through a lot of tires. A lot of times they'll give you their old tires for free.

A few friends went to mid-ohio for the SCCA runoffs last weekend and Avon, Kumho, and Hoosier (i think) were giving away old tires (Kumho was charging a nominal fee). It saves them the trouble of hauling them back with them.