HybridZ

widest rims that fit inside YZ rear flares?

there is a guy who runs 16x12's with no issues at all. his name is bill coffey or something. beautiful car btw. run a search, i believe its been discussed many times, some threads have some pics of his car. oh, the white one on the rr website has custom 16x12 ccw's as well.. so you shouldnt have a problem with those.

Reaction's website quotes some pretty small rim widths, but I think he is quoting with stock springs, not with coilovers. I've got 8's under stock fenders and could probably squeeze 8.5s or maybe 9's and I believe the site says you can't put more than a 9" under the 940z setup which is flared 2 or 3 inches.

http://www.ccwheel.com

ccw pretty much charges the same for a 17x8 wheel as a 17x13 wheel.. atleast everytime i buy wheels from them.

i couldnt be happier with my wheels from them, and ill be getting a set of 15inch drag classic wheels from them soon.

i cant see why a 15x12 or anything over 12inchs wont fit.

i run a 17x11 on my ZG flared green Z.

and ill be running a 15x11 wheel on my other Z which will be ZG flares.

mike

http://www.ztrix.com The 280YZ kit. Bill Coffey modified his to include the bumper and headlights and he uses a different front air dam. smallcoffeyfront.jpg

Side_20front.jpg

The molds were taken from a GT-2 racecar. You can check my set out if you sell me the 280 strut tubes. If you don't then...........just kidding. Check out Jay Hitchcocks photo album. http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12636 He is in Sacramento too.

our car is lowered and uses the stock struts and NOT coilovers (and no coilovers planned for this flare install either).

problem might be since the car is lowered how tall a rim/tire combo we can use. if we go with too tall of a rim/tire we might have to raise the rear up a little which i really dont want to do.

we really want the deep dish look of really wide rims which is made using different backspacing, im just not sure for that look what kind of backspacing we need to use. on some cars with really wide rims ive seen practically no dish at all and its almost the edge of the rim mounting surface on the outside tire side.

so basically we are going with a 15x12 and just have to figure what exact backspacing to use with stock struts. there are many more tire choices for a 15 inch and will go with that.

thanks much for the replies and pictures.

This kit was made from a very low race car so the wheel cutoutouts are very high like raised eyebrows on a not too low car. Solutions for different size wheels include cutting the fenders which is easy since there is no inner fender, or to fill the space you can do as Dan Juday did when he added a lip on his car. It is a combination of three kits in a very tastefull filling of the gap that can occur on a street car. The rear flares on Dan's car is the modified YZ flare.

1154a7b2.jpg

I'm in the process of installing 280YZ rears on my car - Making space for 325/50-15 drag radials (27.7" tall X 13"" wide) on 10" Weld pro-Star rims. My effective backspace (wheel + spacer) is 4.75". My car has coilovers and this combo fills up the YZ flares. I doubt that I could have made these fit without coilovers.

I have set up the car (5-lug spacer/adaptors) to utilize late model Mustang wheels - Rear street setup is 17X 10.5" wheels with 315/35-17,

Rear road race is 18X 10" with 305/35-18. After making room for those bigass DRs, these fit with no problem, and there is perhaps 1" additional space outward.

In the future I will be getting wider/lighter wheels for Road Race - and will fine tweek the fit under the flares with wheel size.

In making plans/calculations for wheel-tire fit,It's probably best to start with the desired tire size and work back from there to wheel and flare fit issues.

BTW, I also have the 280YZ front fenders/hood/air dam and will be connecting them together to make a new one-piece front end.

I am truly in bodywork hell, but this should be worth the effort when done. I was hooked after seing Bill Coffey's sweet race car.

I'll post pics soon.

speeder.. pretty much the wheel/offset will determin if the wheel wheel will be filled.. correct.

im guessing the tires your running will be nitto DR's?

im running the same 325 on my Z and ill be just doing ZG's.. but im sure my backspacing and offset is way different then your wheels.

your running a spacer too right? so is that why the wheel and tire is taking up the whole flared wheel well??? i mean i no the YZ rear is ALOT wider then the a ZG flare but i cant see even with a spacer why its still a MUST do for the coilovers.

as you can tell im tired and confused.

btw... stop making your already near perfect Z nicer and nicer... we Z ppl cant keep up!

mike

Those DRs are Mickey Thompson ET Street - Note the 13" wide part! That is about the max tire width (on any rim) the YZ Flares will support. There is about 1/4" clearance to the coilover on the inside and the outside tire sidewall just tucks under the lip of the flare.

I adapted my Arizona ZCar 4-lug brake sets to the Mustang 5-lug pattern with 1.75" thick 2-piece adaptors. This makes the Mustang offsets (About 1" or something like a 6" backspace) fit well on the inner side with my coilovers.

ive talked to a couple people and they have said i can run 15x12's with 4.5" backspacing and run a mickey thompson DR 325/50R15 and it should fit just fine within the yz flares im hearing, but im being very cautious here as i hate to buy the rims/tires and not have it fit. im gonna give the manufacturer a call and talk it over with him also.

backspacing is the all important factor here.

Based on my recent actual test fitting, Stock (non coilovered) struts will be a Very tight fit with the 325/50s. I can say with 90% certainty that they will not go in there.

Like I said, I have wheels with an effective backspace of 4.75" and have 1/4" (maybe a little less) clearance from the spring perch. Your proposed backspace of 4.5" would increase my clearance from a coilover to 1/2". You will be super close to (if not in contact with) the stock spring perch. A wider rim will spread the tire's section more, so this clearance with 12s will be even less than with my 10 - inchers.

Careful measuring is in order.

so it looks like maybe will have to stick with 10" wide rims....looks like actually getting the flares on first before buying the rims and tires to make the exact measurements....

looks like lots more invesitgating on all this....but reactions website does mention running 15x12's and 335 tires within the flares, so im just not sure why there is some controversy on it.

Reaction Research's website talks about 18"rims and low profile tires on what I assume are coilovered cars. Also, 18 inchers' sidewalls hit further up the stut where it has more of an angle inward and more room.

to wit:

"allowing for use of up to 12 inch wide wheels and up to 335-width tires. Exact clearance is determined by the type of suspension (racing coilover vs. stock vs. live axle, etc.)." and "Ted's wheels are custom made and are 18" diameter x12" wide. They have a 25" x 11.5" Goodyear racing slicks."

Believe me, the big, bulgy Mickeys are a way tighter fit, and at 13" section are wider than those wimpy roadrace tires.

I have serious extra room with my 18 inch roadrace setup compared to the 15" DRs...

FYI:

I run 15x10 rear rims with 4 1/2" backspacing with 305/50's and coilovers. I have about 1/4" clearance to the spring and about 1/2" to the fender.

As metioned though, I have modified the fender lip for a more "street" look.

The front fenders are from the SubtleZ kit. I have 265/50/15's up front with the same backspacing and could fit a wider tire if I wanted but not on those 8" rims

hey Dan longtime n osee on here..or in person!

So if i go with 4.5" backspacing and 15x10 rims, with my stock springs i may hit it sounds like since you have coilovers and only have 1/4" clearance. i might have to back off the backspacing a little. i was always told that 4.5" backspacing would work period with stock springs with ANY rim....hmm interesting...

... i was always told that 4.5" backspacing would work period with stock springs with ANY rim...

I hear that too, curious. I only know how it fits on my car. If you'd like to come up to Rio sometime and poke around with a tape measure you're welcome to it. If you're buying custom wheels (that can't be returned!) it would pay to do a lot of measuring first.