HybridZ

OBD tools

Owen

i have never heard of scan tools that will change the output parameters of a sensor(thats what creating a failure would do).to create a failure you disconnect the sensor.a good scan tool(not cheap kragen code reader) will allow you to monitor the output of a chosen sensor.if you do a google search i think you can find software/cord kits for a laptop.i have only used the snap-on and ford dealer units.newer cars use the obd2 jack for much more than the engine function.i was test driving an expedition and watching the door pids for a door ajar condition on a rough road.could not confirm problem-was probably caused by a stressed mom not wanting to break her nails to close the to-heavy door alll the way.

What do you mean by "failure condition"? Like freeze frame? (records what happened when the code hit) What I think your looking for is a generic OBD2 scan tool. I got mine from MAC TOOLS. All the tool trucks sell them from what I believe, under 300.00. The one's you buy from the autoparts stores, I'm not sure.

I don't think I would get one from a local store...who knows what crap they sell?

About the failure thing, I don't know, I was just asked to search about it...some searching revealed a "system test" that can be initiated. Couldn't find any other info about it though.

Owen

Maybe my friend wants to cause malfunctions while he's driving? Maybe the sensor is out of reach, like my detonation sensor on the Z32 (have to pull the plenum). Who knows???

Off topic, got the drill press today, didn't have much time so put it together but couldn't get the chuck on, damnit.

Owen