HybridZ

Z shuts off at high temps

Guest s130xsw20

Guest s130xsw20

Hey all,

I am new to posting on this forum, but have had my Z for about three years now and have been steadily reading. I have an '83 turbo and it has always had this problem where once it gets to temp or really warm....no overheating....from driving for awhile the car shuts off. It won't start back up right away, but if i let it cool down it will start and i can drive it again no probs. I was told it was vapor lock a long time ago and since then i've installed a palnet rail, newer injectors and and walboro pump. I still have the problem though. Any ideas? The ignitor, coil plugs and wires also have alomst no mileage on them. any help would be great.

thanks

adam

#1. Bring a timing light with you when you shut down.

A. If there is flash (spark) then it is a fuel problem go to #2.

B. If there is no flash, you have:

- Bad engine relay 40%

- Igniter problem with electronic ignition 40%

- Bad Connection somewhere 10%

- Bad computer or other electronics 9%

- Gremlins 1%.

#2. When it stalls and you were running see #3, otherwise you tried to start it just after shutting it off and now you have no fuel:

A. Unscrew your gas cap, try again, if this solved it get a new pump. 50%

B. Tap on the fuel relay, or unplug it and shake it and plug it back in, otherwise check it for function, try again, if this solved it get a new relay. 49%

C. 1% fuel gremlins.

#3 When it stalls while the engine was running, and you still have spark and it won't start:

A. Check the Fuel relay 50%

B. Check the Fuel presure (might be low enough to stall), need a new pump and/or filter. 49%

C. 1% your car is possessed, get an exorcist.

Guest s130xsw20

thanks guys....brandonsZ that's some great stuff there. I like the demons thats pretty good. thats how it seems sometimes. Ill give them all a check, but just about everything fuel related, besides the pump relay and injectors is brand new. Thanks again and ill give these tests a go.

- Igniter problem with electronic ignition 40%

s130xsw20,

This could be your car problem. The ignition black box on the distributor has problem with heat. This problem is seen on all L-series engines with black box eletronic ignition. The symptom is E-X-A-C-T-L-Y like you described : car gets hot, then everything quits all of a sudden; car goes back to normal once it cools off a bit.

What people do is relocate the black box(extend the wires) and move the box to someplace cooler in the engine bay. Some people use aftermarket ignition module, which is also installed somewhere cooler in the engine bay.

Guest s130xsw20

ok i may be confused here, but isnt the ignitor (ignition control module, little black box) already located on the shock tower right next to the coilon a 83 turbo? I replaced that with a brand new one and the problem is still there. Thats what i thought it was....since on all other cars with this prob it turns out being this. Correct me if i am wrong so i can get my Z reliable.

I had the same exact problem with my 83 Turbo. It turned out to be the Cylinder head temp sensor. It's on the passenger side of the head around the #5 cyl. All I did was disconnect the plug, stick a jumper wire in it ( the plug)and took it for a drive. It was hard to start like that, but it did run for over 45mins on the road and at idle. Replaced the sensor, plugged it in, and all was good! Hope that helps

Aaron