HybridZ

Deformed valve spring retainer

I'll give you a little background..I just got my datsun, and we haven't fired it up yet. [The guy we bought it from said it ran didn't run good [the spark plug wires weren't on the right plugs [fixed], one of the spade conectors to the distributor was disconnected,[missing],[not fixed yet] and we don't think it has the right coil. [it's too small for the bracket] And i just discovered a new reason why it didn't run good... I opened up my valve cover yesterday for a shakedown, to see one of the rockers off, I tried to put it back on and discovered this:MyDatsun2019.jpg

The deformity of the valve spring retainer won't let the lash pad sit in there correctly, my dad suggested using a dremel to shave out a little so it could fit. Would that work or do i need new valve spring retainers? Would it work for maybe just a temporary fix? Is this a sign of bigger problems?

And maybe you can help identify the coil.

MyDatsun2010.jpg

Thanks.

If it was me I would replace the valve spring retainer. From looking at the picture I suspect that the lash pad was either damaged or missing which allowed the underside of the rocker to hit on the retainer, if that is the case you should probably replace the rocker as well and difinately replace the lash pad.

Dragonfly

The dremmel idea sounds like it would work, but ONLY as a temporary fix. I would not drive around in a car with something like that. (if i knew about it at least) Your only problem is going to be keeping the shavings out from the rest of the valve area.

I don't know about the coil

Can i buy 1 valve retainer and 1 lash pad? or do i have to get a whole set? If so wherecan i get one.

The only way that I know of that you can buy only one is to get it used (wrecking yard or private party), you can do that as a short term fix. What would be better if you have the money would be to buy new rockers, spring retainers, lash pads, and locks, you can buy them from a Nissan dealership or from MSA. There are probably others that sell new ones but I don't know for sure.

The reason for getting new parts is because each valve assembly is like a finger print no two are alike, they wear into thier own pattern and when you put a used one on the pattern is different from what was there before which creates accelerated wear as well as other problems like popping out the lash pad or spitting out the rocker etc. In my opinion a used one is better than using what you have now but the assembly should be completely replaced as soon as possible. Here is an MSA link for you http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TZS&Category_Code=PEM02

Dragonfly

I keep seeing these aluminum valve spring retainers on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOMEI-Aluminum-Spring-Retainers-240Z-260Z-280Z-Datsun_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34202QQitemZ4578408866QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

it says they "increase the rev limit.", because they're lighter, but that doesn't really make that much sense to me though, [any truth to the claim you think?] and, should i be concerned with the durability of aluminum retainers vs. chromoly?

aluminum retainers can fatigue and break, and I don't reccomend them. Just buy a single retainer. I'm sure you can go to the dealer and purchase them. If not, I'll sell you one. How's the lash pad? was it anywhere to be found? if you need another one, you'll need to measure the thickness of one of the stock ones to makes sure I get you the right size. You never know if they've been changed out. By the way, I bought some lash pads the other day from the dealer and they list around $3...so you might as well just go there and order them. quick and easy, and still pretty cheap.