HybridZ

Diff. btw VQ35 and vq30 block

Guest check_engine

Guest check_engine

HI all! New to the site but I like what I see so far. Any ways I recently picked up a '72 240z. Im thinking of going the vq route b/c of its light weight, but I still have a lot more research to do before I decide what engine will go in. Does any body know the difference between a vq35 and a vq30 block, besides the internals? Is the block height different, is it the bore, or is it just the stroke? Also, is there a difference between the VQ30det and the VQ30de block, besides internals and the turbo? Mainly Im wondering if there is a difference in their oiling mechanisms.

Guest check_engine

When in doubt... google! I'll post more as I find it. This is from the VQ30de manual:

VQ30DE

Displacement; 2,988cm

Bore x Stroke; 93 x 73.3 mm

Comp; 10:1

Pistons

Piston pin hole diameter; 21.987-.999 mm

Piston pin outer diameter; 21.986-22.001mm

Connecting rod

Center distance; 147.60-147.7mm

Piston pin bushing inner diameter (installed); 22.000-22.012mm

Connecting rod small end inner diameter; 23.980-24mm

Connecting rod big end inner diameter; 48-48.013mm

Crank

Main journal diameter

Grade No. 0 59.969-59.975mm

Grade No. 1 59.963-59.969mm

Grade No. 2 59.957-59.963mm

Grade No. 3 59.951-59.957mm

Pin Journal Diameter

Grade No. 0 44.968-44.974mm

Grade No. 1 44.962-44.968mm

Grade No. 2 44.956-44.962mm

Center distance; 36.61-36.69mm

Guest check_engine

Thats looking really good. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Do you have any idea how much the car will weigh in the end? How much power do you think she'll produce?

Thanks,

I am not sure what it will weigh when finished, I will have to wait untill it is finished.

The engine is moved right back and will have to have new custom intake plenum (partly done) and custom exhaust manifolds made.

From what I have read about this motor, which is a NEO version of the VQ30det is that it will have 206kw or 280hp in standard form.

There is also a guy who has put a VQ35 into an early z car.

Rob

Guest check_engine

Are you going twin turbo, or sticking to the simpler single turbo setup? I was looking at the Top Secret 350z with the VQ30dett. Seems like they used the VQ35de heads, probably b/c it simplifys the TT setup, cause I doubt they left the VVT active with that much power. Also, whats the deal with the sump on that engine? Looks kinda small.

I am going to use the single turbo with custom manifolds, the stock set up has the exhaust from one side going around the back of the engine to meet the other side, but I want to go under the engine where there is clearance in the sump for what was a x-member and steering rack, to come up to meet the other side and poss have the turbo where the battery was( my car is right hand drive).Here are some pics of the sump.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4452&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4451&cat=500&page=1

And here is a pic of the stock set up with exhaust & turbo.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1314&cat=500&page=1

Rob

Guest check_engine

Some info on the VQ35.

2006 Infiniti M35

Technical Specifications Features and Options

Source of Production: Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

TYPE: VQ35 DOHC 24-VALVE

CYLINDERS/CONFIGURATION: V6 with molybdenum coated pistons

HORESPOWER: 280 hp @ 6,200 rpm

TORQUE: 270 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

BORE & STROKE (mm): 95.5 x 81.4

cOMPRESSION RATIO (:1): 10.3

You had to move the engine right back didn't you Rob, so the front sump would clear the crossmember? And by the look of it there is no easy way to convert the VQ engine to a rear sump configuration.

I'm looking at a Nissan Z V6 manual transmission project now and would prefer to use the VQ engine but that front sump could be a problem for what I have in mind. May end up using a VG engine.

Hi Richard,

Yes you are right I did move the engine back as far as I could to clear the original x-member, this means that I have to use custom intake plenum and exhaust manifolds, but I have seen pics of a z-car with a VQ35 in it where the engine is very much toward the front of the engine bay.

If this was done with the VQ30det then you might clear the x-member and have room for the exhaust to come around the back of the engine as well as the intake coming from behind.

For the sump to be modified you would have to do a fair bit of fab and alloy welding as the sump for the most part is cast alloy.Not impossible though.

A few things I liked the idea of with the VQ over the VG engine was the light weight, the power and economy ,timing chain instead of belt and a newer engine that had won design awards for many years, also the poss of more parts available in years to come.

Rob