HybridZ

Power t5 clutch

rudypoochris

I searched and found this very helpful: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99312&highlight=clutch

But i have some questions of my own. Im kind of knew at clutch mechanics so sorry if i ask a stupid question:

1. Hydraulic throwout bearings replace the clutch fork and simply push on the clutch from inside the bell housing? (The clutch MC line would go directly into the bearing?) If so how do they rate the bearings performance (in bore and stroke or soemthing else)?

2. If the stock t5 clutch fork is kept approximately how much travel is needed at the end of the fork to disengage and engage the clutch fully?

3. Can anyone recommend what size master and slave is necessary. I heard a Neal or Wilwood slave with 7/8th bore and Wilwood MC at 1" bore works great, but what are their strokes? Any one have the part numbers? Below is a pic of this setup.

SlaveCylinderSetup.jpg

Rudy,

I like the way you are looking at this, bore x stroke = volume of "pushed" fluid at both ends of the system. Let me dredge up some old memories.

Re: your question #2 I have only woked on the Chevy clutch fork/bellhousing but I found that the external slave needed 1" of stroke to move the end of the fork far enough to disengage a stock chevy 10.5" clutch (1979 vintage). I was using the stock Datsun external slave cylinder with the 5/8" bore (per Scarab tradition). To move 0.306 cu. in. of fluid I needed a larger than 7/8" bore master cylinder or a longer stroke of the master cylinder. I tried moving the master cylinder lower and pushing it from a lower point on the clutch pedal arm by cutting a new hole in the firewall (much pain & suffering) but found the pedal effort was too much due to the decreased leverage. Then I bought Terry Oxendale's book and read his trial and experience over pretty much the same things which led me to try a 1" bore master cylinder (from an antique Volvo LOL). This only needed 3/8" of stroke to move the slave 1".

Everything I've read about hydraulic throwout bearings says 7/8" Master is the way to go. They must all have about the same volume requirement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest levelhead86

I know my Jeep T5 has a "hydraulic" clutch setup, but it still uses the fork style releasing lever, rather than a real hydraulic powered throw out bearing. Just figured I'd through that in as a possible budget option...