HybridZ

Muffler for SR20DET?

Lewis Maudlin

What muffler are you guys running? Are you running one? I understand that the turbo quiets the exhaust quite a bit. I am running 3" mandrel bent all the way back. I was considering putting on a muffler or running it straight. Any suggestions? Is it going to be way loud without a muffler? Ebay is loaded with cheap turbo mufflers. Any suggestions?

I believe the mufflers that Alex (SR240Z) are Megan N1's. The split into the dual, and I personally think it sounds better than the single. I don't really like straights on 4cyl because it gives it too much of the "toy car" sound that some of the mufflers do. The Megans pull out a much deeper sound in my opinion.

Tyson

Guest 81na ZX

Yes it'll be too loud with out one.

My #1 choice is a Magnaflow straight through muffler

#2, Dynomax UltraFlow

A "race bullet" muffler will probally be too loud for a frequently driven car/driven a long way.

Theres LOTS of info in the exhaust forum here...

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Off Topic Alert: Doesn't That Hood Of Yours Restrict Airflow Through The V-mount Negating All Benefits?

On Topic: There Is A Megan Racing Muffler On My Car And It Sounds Good. I Was Thinking About Going To A 3" In / Dual 2.5" Out Straight Through Muffler With Side Exits For Alitte Weight Loss, Looks, And Top End Flow.

The intercooler has a good 2-3 inch clearance from the hood soo i dont think its restricting it that much because the air just dissapates into the engine bay just like a front mount. even more if i drive it with the hood popped...haha.....as soon as i get money to vent the hood ill be able to take full advantage of the v mount though.

Thanks Alex! lol i love the way my car sounds...its beastly

I run straight through mufflers on SR's. The power gain is noticable over a more restrictive muffler. Response is quicker, full boost comes sooner, and it will sound good as long as you put on a larger muffler.

Dynomax Ultraflo round is a great option. Get a muffler with some packing, or it will make an annoying resonating sound that drones into your head.

Running no muffler on an SR will sound like a tractor with a turbo on crack. It's not a pretty sound, and its not very tough sounding, either.

The best setup I built was full 3" mandrel bent system with a Dynomax ultraflo round (6" outer diameter, 4" inner) with another inline muffler like the Megans sold on Ebay (4" outer diameter, 3" inner). The sound was incredible. It was deep and smooth, and actually eliminated all of the 4 cylinder whine that I know most of us hate. There was no backpressure from any restrictions along the way.

Here's a video clip of it while I'm pulling my old 180sx onto the dyno. I can't show you how the muffler sounds at full boost, because I run an open wastegate - and the wastegate noise drowns out everything else. I'll post a second video that gives you an idea of how it sounds in the car, but when the boost comes on... thats all wastegate noise.

The little backfires you hear in this clip are from running it too rich. Soon after, I tuned that out. (old computer setup was not ideal) (pushing 345rwhp)

http://72.29.75.31/~videof6/features/hugh/hugh-buddyclub.mpg

And here's a video of it on the street, showing my speedometer getting stuck at max. :-D (pushing over 395rwhp)

http://72.29.75.31/~videof6/features/hugh/speedostuck.mpg