HybridZ

Newb questions, Not sure i know what to search for

rudypoochris

Hi this is going to be a super newb post seeing as i read through megasquirt.info and am thoughly confused.

1. What are Digi-Key parts?

2. What does the stimulator do?

3. How exactly does the MS box connect to the throttle body, injectors, and sensors?

4. What sensors do i use for a ford 302?

5. How difficult is it to program/setup for a v8 i have never run before? Is it possible to download a generic program for a ford 302?

Thanks guys sorry if this has been answered 1,000 times, i searched but honestly i didn't even know what to search for.

1. Digi-Key is the place they reccomend you buy your components for the board from.

2. The Stimulator is a diagnostic tool for the ms. you can use it to check the function of the ms through the building process, or off of the car with this.

3. Either through a harness you build, if you know the wiring layout, you can connect most of the factory harness wires to it.....

4. any sensors that you want. you can run gm sensors if you don't want to mess around with easytherm, which will allow you to use the stock sensors.

5. I would try to find someone using a similar sized engine over on the MSefi Forums

if you went through megasquirt.info, you should have seen the assembly instructions. the building of the harness should be in there also.

and if you don't feel that you can build everything yourself, there are people that will build the boxes and the harness for you. the only thing that would really be left is the harness to your engine.

Okay thanks guys. Last three questions:

1. Is there any one in the Bay Area running MS that can help me out?

2. How does the MS connect to the throttle body and injectors and what not by connecting tot he stock computer harness? Or by making a little harness to each piece?

3. Are there different types of harness connector available? Or do you simply take the old computers harness and yank all the wires out and put in your own?

1. Not sure

2. The wiring of the car is completely up to you, as long as it's done :) I have my car completely rewired for the system. I used the rs-autosports kit and the MS relay board. Pretty much the only connectors that you get to work with are the one that connect to the pieces, such as the injector connectors, sensor connectors, etc.

WHen it comes to the throttle body.. I believe you need a variable sensor instead of a switch type.. meaning not the stock TB and prolly a 240sx one. Someone may correct me on this.

3. The MS is obviously connected to a DB-27 computer connection, which means you can't really use ony of the stock harness connectors.

1. Not sure

2. The wiring of the car is completely up to you' date=' as long as it's done :) I have my car completely rewired for the system. I used the rs-autosports kit and the MS relay board. Pretty much the only connectors that you get to work with are the one that connect to the pieces, such as the injector connectors, sensor connectors, etc.

WHen it comes to the throttle body.. I believe you need a variable sensor instead of a switch type.. meaning not the stock TB and prolly a 240sx one. Someone may correct me on this.

3. The MS is obviously connected to a DB-27 computer connection, which means you can't really use ony of the stock harness connectors.[/quote']

You wouldn't happen to be running MS on a ford 302 would ya?

i have ms running on my z with l28 but i work as a ford tech.you can screw gm sensors into ford manifold.if you are running 302 in a z with ms best to build all new harness with rs autosport kit.i used 1 and i liked it.i put magnets in my flywheel and triggered it with a hall effect sensor.iii wanted %100 new parts on my install and no old junkyard stuff.best place to learn is to read

alot of posts on msefi.com.even though i have a 2 year college degree in electronics,ase master auto tech certification i still learned a lot on this install.