HybridZ

Engine postion Question ( PIC INSIDE )

I see that you are from Georgia, what part? What mount system are you using JTR, MSA, Scarab or homemade? If you use the JTR or the MSA you can get it further back. I can't really tell how low it is already from your pictures.

I live in the stockbridge/mcdonough area, about 20 minutes south Atlanta. I am not sure how the engine is mounted, the guy we bought it from had allready installed it. It seem like it could possibly be mounted lower/further back. I are going to a frame upbuild so right now we are getting all the parts together. Before we get to far along I wanted to know if getting a jtr kit or something similar could do it for us. Or is it as good as it gonna get so not waste the cash.

that car looks familiar... especially how the engine is set up. you buy the car from a guy named tory? the position looks like where the hooker/scarab kit puts it. you can slot the front mount location to slide it back a little. what kind of wheels are on the car?

i know that billy kittle(?) at pro1 in conyers did the short block. it's a 400 block with 400 rods, 0.30 over. nothing too special, but it was done right. it's a complete holley system max kit with holley heads and lunati cam. supposed to have a 10" torque converter with the t350. the tranny was freshened up before it went in the car. i know tory didn't drive it much.

i also know the front springs are rear 240 springs and the rear springs are 280 rear springs. he got a lot of incluence on that car from a friend that tory and i have in common: paul corson.

the carb linkage is what gave it away for me. at first, i thought it might be a different car, as tory used to have anodized red moroso valve covers and air cleaner top. paul does all his cars with that linkage and even bought the rods for Tory to do the same. we did my car the same way.

bimmerman, as for the initial question, the jtr kit would definitely be the way to go to get the engine further back and lower. it should be pretty easy on that car, as the only thing that stands out with the hooker to jtr swap on that particular car is getting the drive shaft shortened, longer radiator hoses, and possibly longer transmission cooler lines.

i'll be in conyers this weekend doing suspension work on my 280 if you want to meet up and talk shop. you should definitely come and check out paul's (the z guru in your area) 240 drag car.

The JTR kit will move that engine back until it is 1/2 inch or so from the firewall. It looks like you have a "Scarab" mounted V8. If you like your engine lower and further back, then the JTR kit is for you. After doing plenty of research and reading, I decided that the JTR kit just made more sense.

Davy