HybridZ

It happens tomorrow...The first time fire up!

So it all comes down to this. Tomorrow 10/16/05 will be a make or break day. I spent the whole day adding oil, coolant, checking wires, hoses, bolts, clamps, fuel delivery...all that i can think of. The first fire up of my '73 240Z V8 project is scheduled for tomorrow at high noon...and im really anxious to see what happenes.

New and never used:

Carb

oil pump

CAM

water pump

Any ideas of anything i should check/do before the initial fire up? The only thing that will require breakin is the cam/lifters. Everything else has 5K miles on it.

Do these need any special attention? I plan on doing a quick pre-lube with a drill to get oil in the pump for quicker lubrication to the new cam. I installed the oil filter full of oil so it be good to go. I will update my site as soon as i get a chance.

http://www.magshooterz.com/V8240Z.htm

Just watch and make sure you have good oil pressure when you prelube the engine and when you break the cam in, don't just idle it. I always see varying opinions about where to keep the rpms at during cam break in. I usually run about 2000 rpm. The cam relies on splashed oil for lubrication. Run the engine to slow and there is not enough oil going to the cam.

I usually prime the carb float bowls with gas and dump a bit of gas down the manifold as well.

Do yourself a favor and get another set of eyes on the underside of the engine to watch for leaks while somebody mans the throttle and tach.

I always toss a bottle of GM EOS (engine oil supplement) in with the oil on initial break in.

Be sure to pre-lube until you've got oil coming out at all of the rockers and make sure you've got the ignition roughly dialed in so it will fire up quick (especially be sure you haven't reversed your coil... d'oh!).

Follow cam manufacturer's recommended break in rpm and time.

Have a fire extinguisher handy. ;)