HybridZ

need help with megatune and some other stuff

boostin280zx

I am using megatune2.25b514 with Extra024s9a. I am not getting a spark. I have 12 volts going to coil. It sparks when i turn the key off. i am using the gm hei 4pin module. I also am using the v3pcb.

Alright, in megatune i get readings from all my sensors:clt, iat, tps, o2, and getting good tach singnal.I am getting the tach signal from a 82 dizzy. I installed the 12v and 5 volt pullup resistors and wired it up as in mobys wiring schematic.

I have had my car running with standard megasquirt for a couple of minutes but it wouldnt rev over 1500rpms because i had the afm unplugged from the stock ecu. Now i ripped all that out and have my new ms harness wired up and did all the mods to the board for MSnS-extra.

I went to the outputs and set LED17 as spark output instead of squirt and the LED on the ms box stays on and when i turn the motor over it blinks real fast. I think thats right because the signal coming out should be a ground and when it takes the ground away that when it jumps the spark over to another grounded spot which would be the spark plugs.

I didn't do the thing were you set the motor to tdc and turn the dizzy to 5 deg. max advance or whatever because i set the dizzy to tdc when i swapped my turbo motor in and im just trying to get a spark right off the coil for now.

Do you have to se the dizzy specialy for megasquirt. I have trigger angle set at 78 degs. does that mean i have to set the dizzy at around that angle to. Or would it still get a spqrk right off the coil but it wouldn't be lining the rotor up with the spark plug when it triggers the spark.

I haven't found any .msq extra maps for the version im using. My cars been down for 3 weeks now, so im ready to get to the point were i can tune it.

Here are the mods for my car if some1 has similar: 60mm tb, 550cc inj., 14 psi, all emisions stuff taken off . thats all the major stuff.

I have a new 4 pin gm hei module but i think it may have burned it up because i had power to the coil and it wasn't bolted down to any thing and i tapped the aluminum sinc on a ground a couple of times and it made the coil throw a few sparks everytime i lifted it and it got pretty warm.Im replacing that tommorow.

If anybody could help me out with the major things you have to have set in megatune that would be nice.I have the fuel good, just need spark settings and stuff like that.

if you are not using spark control from ms then wire the green and violet wires to the distributor (mimicking a magnetic pick-up) and use the tach out of the msd box for pin 24. if you have a 6AL / BTM then i see no reason for ignition control form ms. that set up worked fine with a 6AL and a 78ish magnetic pick-up distributor.

Guest 73Turbo240z
if you are not using spark control from ms then wire the green and violet wires to the distributor (mimicking a magnetic pick-up) and use the tach out of the msd box for pin 24. if you have a 6AL / BTM then i see no reason for ignition control form ms. that set up worked fine with a 6AL and a 78ish magnetic pick-up distributor.

his setup differs from mine... he's using a assumed 82 ZXT dizzy and no MSD box... i'm going to use a MSD Digital 6+ box and HVC coil, i'm running the spark control so that i can program in ignition timing variation for boost, the Digital 6 box doesn't have a vacuum reference port to see the engine is boosting.

does anybody know if the version of megatune and extra that i am using is for the v3 board. I never could get a signal out of pin 36. finally i jumpered pin 36 to the negative side of the LED closes to the db9 plug (instead of js10 ign under 40 pin) and set it as spark output because it has been sending a signal out. Now i have a good spark and i checked it with a timing light andit starts up but my injectors all click on when i turn ms on and it floods the motor out.hmmmm theres another problem. i checked the wiring and nothing touching on the db37 plug. Are the injectors supposed to click when you put power to megasquirt? Its opening them all the way when there isn't any rpm signal in ms. The LED stays off and then blinks when i turn the motor over. So i guess it is sending a signal pulse out. Ill check my wiring 1 more time.

73turbo240z- why use 6+ versus the btm? if you have'nt purchased the msd yet why not use msII with the 3000GT/ stealth coils (40k volts - 45k volts) and go distributorless. i'm just partial to how clean the engine bay looks with coil packs.

boostin280zx- 1) use easytherm and download the s19 with the extra file. make sure to use the custom selection. -18 = 7600, 68 = 2250, 176 = 290 settings had my water temp within a couple of degrees.

2) is your spark output inverted (spark > spark settings > spark output inverted)? see if switching it helps. also make sure the transistor on your board is good, mine wasn't and caused hours of headaches.....

3) check your start-up settings (crank/warm-up > cranking/ prime table). you can adjust how and when the injectors fire during startup. my car liked a total of 4.3ms at 80 degrees. double check the extra cranking fuel enrichment (crank/warm_up > more cranking stuff) to see if it is set to flood the motor. hopefully you don't have a stuck injector like i did. that will dump plenty of fuel while you are adjusting / loading ms files.

Guest 73Turbo240z
73turbo240z- why use 6+ versus the btm? if you have'nt purchased the msd yet why not use msII with the 3000GT/ stealth coils (40k volts - 45k volts) and go distributorless. i'm just partial to how clean the engine bay looks with coil packs.

boostin280zx- 1) use easytherm and download the s19 with the extra file. make sure to use the custom selection. -18 = 7600' date=' 68 = 2250, 176 = 290 settings had my water temp within a couple of degrees.

2) is your spark output inverted (spark > spark settings > spark output inverted)? see if switching it helps. also make sure the transistor on your board is good, mine wasn't and caused hours of headaches.....

3) check your start-up settings (crank/warm-up > cranking/ prime table). you can adjust how and when the injectors fire during startup. my car liked a total of 4.3ms at 80 degrees. double check the extra cranking fuel enrichment (crank/warm_up > more cranking stuff) to see if it is set to flood the motor. hopefully you don't have a stuck injector like i did. that will dump plenty of fuel while you are adjusting / loading ms files.[/quote']

already acquired it, i got the 6+ for the built in 2 stage limiting, and the stronger output than a 6A/AL/BTM, we had issues with another turbo Z here in town blowing spark out in the upper RPM's on a 6AL box w/ Blaster 2 coil. So i went up in the food chain with the 6+ digital and HVC to try and ensure i don't have the same blowout problem (blow out occured w/ big and small gapping... 6al just couldn't cut it) since my motor is a level or 2 above the motor that was having the other issues.

73turbo240z- how much boost was the other car running with which cam? the hvc coil only kicks out an extra 2K volts over the blaster 2 coil. i know the accel super coil calims a 10K volt increase over the blaster 2, and works with the msd. be prepared to change the cap and rotor regularly with the set-up though.

boostin280zx- q3 and q5 blew on mine which caused odd behavior with my v2.2 board and the factory fi relays. i believe people are hunting second gen rx7 low imp. injectors (? flow rate), and the settings are for the stock nissan sensor.