HybridZ

transmission rattle

zredbaron

Seems to me I've come across this problem before, and seems to me it was a common problem.

My tranny has a odd internal rattle at idle, which quiets when the clutch is pushed in. I'm not sure if it's related, but there is also an odd tapping vibration that feels like something is out of balance, and is worst at around 55 mph (not the tires, had them balanced).

I just had this transmission rebuilt, so this is really surprising to me. What is the cause?

Thanks.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103990

Sounds like countershaft bearings again. I wouldn't worry about it. What eventually will happen is it will start to pop out of gear on decel. That's the time to really be concerned. A friend of mine had her ZX 5 speed rebuilt 3 times because of that noise. 3 times the noise came back within ~3 weeks.

I need to get into my transmission here pretty soon. My transmission made that noise when I installed it about 40K miles ago, and started popping out on decel about 1000 miles ago. My plan is to tack weld the mainshaft nut on so that it can't back off. I'm also going to run safety wire through the roll pins that hold the gear selector forks on. I've heard they have a tendency to vibrate out under racing conditions.

EDIT No clue about your tapping noise at 55 mph BTW.