HybridZ

life is good!

fl327

went on a predawn mission this morning, testing the car around town. damn this thing is loud as hell! no pipes beyond the trans mount, at least theres not smell. bolted up the weiand manifold last night, didnt really notice too much, but its looking real clean though! didnt break the tires loose from a standstill yet, but i went wot thru a couple gears, and the polyurethane mustache bar bushings and control arm bushings really make a difference, and the ride is a lot smoother, no banging between gears, i relocated the diff to r200 position, ride is really smooth. took the cable off the diff for now may put it back on just for insurance. i made a new arrestor strap out of nylon tiedown and installed an energy suspension bumpstop and made sure it had preload when i put diff in my shimming in until it was sufficient, man the diff aint goin nowhere, also rethreaded everything to take 3/8 24 bolts(grade 8 everything of course. its ridin great. people are covering their ears when i pass them, kids point at me, and now the imports wont even look.....need to put some mufflers on it soon, man its cool, sounds like nascar at wot, shoot sounds like nascar at 2500rpm!!!!!!! give me a couple more trouble shooting days at half ass, and im taking it to sears point this wednesday.

oh what a feeling.

oh, yeah the cable doesnt work very well at all as a primary means of holding diff and isolater together, (i found out the hard way)

i replaced the arrestor strap, with a nylon ratcheting strap you can find at osh for about 7 bucks, hey i figure if you can use it to strap stuff to the roof of your car and speed on the freeway with it, its gotta be strong enough to do the job, i got the thickest and the shortest one they had, it has that racheting mechanism so you adjust preload(i like it) i took down the brackets that hold that strap in place, placed the rachet cable in place of it, and simply started tightening it until it started to take the shape of the arrestor strap, also, if you are going to do this, make sure that the rachet part is offcenter and not at the bottom, it is at the top not where it will ever touch the diff please(highest point possible off center)!, if it is in the middle youll hear it bonk and you wont be able to accomplish STEP 2 to the maximum useage. ok so strap is good right?

use an energy suspension bumpstop, that costs about 8.00 a pair, get the lowest profile one you find, now drill a hole through that lovely strap you just made at the center of both, and shim up the bumpstop so that when you put the diff back in, it pushes the stop up about 1/2 inch(make sure to shim both sides of the strap to minimize ripping, that is good enough preload, bolt everything back up and let er rip!!!

im not running the cable for now, but it does work to hold things together as a secondary means, and i will put it back in once im certain nothing else is loose back there. drove the car about 40 miles over the weekend, and so far so good, real nice, no bonks, power is getting down real nice, its working ok, you might not want to do it, it only costs 20.00.