HybridZ

Benz Id?

Chaparral2f

What is the difference between a 450SL and a 380SL? I ;haven't seen any discussion of them here. I think they're great looking little cars but I don't know much about them. What is your opinion?

Oh yeah, one more question. Is there any rhyme or reason to the way Mercedes Id's their cars, or do they just have someone who grabs a handful of chrome letters and numbers and slaps them on the rear of the car as it rolls out the factory door??

The 380SL and the 450SL are the exact car, chassis, etc etc.....they are of course the convertible 2door model.

The 380SL is the smallest V8 3.8L hence the name 380SL that Mercedes offered at the time.

The 450SL is the older 4.5L V8 and "used" to be the largest V8 Mercedes made up unitl 1983, when they went with the 5.0L V8.

The 4.5L V8 is a far superior engine to the rather waek 3.8L

Been messing with Benzes since 1980...so I am very famililar with these models.

Mercedes numbers their cars based on engine size and body style, for example:

E55 - 5.5L in an E-Class (4door)

S430 - 4.3L in a S-Class (4door)

SLK350 - 3.5L in a SLK Convertible

etc etc

Yasin

I think this should help you out http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/?man=3932 . Should answer all your spec differences. Hope it helps.

Tyson

I want a site like that.

Except with alllllll cars.

Especially for while I'm at car shows and people are telling me I'm wrong. I can whip out my mobile, hit that site, and prove them wrong.

=D