HybridZ

EDIS8 on my 383 Chevy

dmanzo57

No distributor? No Problem!

PA220024.JPG

I sawed off an old points distributor to plug the hole and turn the oil pump.

I need to find a cap to cover the spinning washer on the end of the cut down shaft.

I made my trigger wheel by cutting notches in a unused belt groove on the crank pulley. I marked

the pulley every 10 degrees and used a grinder to cut the notches. I know it's not 100% accurate,

but I think it's close enough.

PA220023.JPG

It fired right up on the first try! :2thumbs:

I bought a set of spark plug wires for a 4.6L Mustang, but I don't like the way they fit. I need

to find a set with 90 degree plug boots.

:cheers:

Don

Well, it makes sense that it would matter, how much I don't know, I think it would be alot easier to do on a mill rather than a lathe, but I do know about that indexing fixture. How many notches have to be in the pulley to work and how many degrees apart are they? I like the EDIS, and I'd like to try it.

• 1 month later...

What would the possibility be of simply turning off the notches on the stock 81 CAS trigger wheel, and renotching it to the current required configuration? This would give you a wheel that is indexed via a dowel pin from the factory, and transferrable to another pulley should the dampening ring fail (which it WILL DO given enough torque inputs on a turbo motor).

This is certainly doable. You would just need to place the missing tooth so that the sensor is 60 deg advanced from it at TDC.

The super charger pulley is setup to use the 280Z damper, but I could make a spacer do that the SC pully aligns properly with CAS trigger wheel.

Got an extra 81' damper with the CAS trigger wheel?

I was just tossing this idea around for my BBC after watching this thread. I already have to run a spacer for my supercharger belt alignment. The spacer is a standard blower type (6 bolt 2.75" bolt pattern with 2" pilot hole). That is interesting because a guy on ebay already sells a machined 36-1 trigger wheel with a 2" pilot hole. So I would just have to machine down the spacer by the thickness of the trigger wheel and I could easily bolt this on. I have an old opints dizzy to cut off like dmanzo did. It always starts like this, now I have another thing to add to the list.

I ended up buying a Mallory oil pump drive/distrbutor plug. The cut down distributor

should have a bushing installed just below the cut. It was easier for me to just buy the

whole assembly from Summit Racing.

The car has been running flawlessly since converting to EDIS8. I hit 6400 RPM at the

drag strip and it never missed a beat. Ran a best of 11.30@123.8 MPH.

:cheers:

Don

Great to hear another EDIS sucess story. Nothing beats direct fire crank triggered ignition for blown or high compression applications. It really the only way to do it with Megasquirt, and it is cheap and simple to wire up. I'll post results when mine is up and running.