HybridZ

Holley 600 Double Pumper Value?

A fellow at work asked me if I wanted a holley carb that had been sitting for 2 years in his garage. He said take a do some research and pay me what you think it is worth.

4776-4

Looks to be a holley 600 cfm double pumper. Needs rebuilding.

I currently have and edlebrock performer. Think it is a 600-650 cfm???

Any way What is the difference between the 2 carbs ? At what price point is it a good deal to pick this up? Will it add anything to my setup?

Thanks

The eddy's secondaries are vacumn operated, while the holley's secondaries are mechanical and operated by the throttle linkage. The holley might make a little more power, at the expense of worse gas mileage. The eddy's are an excellent street/occasional plaything carb. More important than which carb, is getting the carb tuned properly. A lot of people think the eddy's are easier to tune. It boils down to which one you like, blondes or brunettes. I would guess it's worth $50-100, maybe a little more if it's fairly new. Ask him if you can take it and try it out- sometimes there's a reason a used carb is for sale.

John

If you want a headache, go with that holley, if you want predictable, sane tuning stick with the edelbrock, if have never rejetted it, you may want to consider getting a kit, rejet it one step or so and test it out. You may be plesantly surprised, or you go back to stock, edlebrock makes a nice efficient carb, with lots of good features. Holley? It has it's purposes.

Your right, holley has it's purposes. Isn't Edelbrock an emissions carb? I know that the holley 600DP is not, isn't that why the edelbrock comes with a carb EO# and holley doesn't. Probably also the reason you'll never see and edelbrock carb on Nextel Cup car! It just depends on what your going to do with the car and what you really need in the terms of airflow. Edelbrock is limited to feeding mild street engines and IMO won't make the power that a holley DP will. Unless your motor is small or mild the 600 might not be big enough cause the 600 flow is a dry flow #. It will actually wet flow less than that probably 550 to 570cfm max.

Your right, holley has it's purposes. Isn't Edelbrock an emissions carb? I know that the holley 600DP is not, isn't that why the edelbrock comes with a carb EO# and holley doesn't. Probably also the reason you'll never see and edelbrock carb on Nextel Cup car! It just depends on what your going to do with the car and what you really need in the terms of airflow. Edelbrock is limited to feeding mild street engines and IMO won't make the power that a holley DP will. Unless your motor is small or mild the 600 might not be big enough cause the 600 flow is a dry flow #. It will actually wet flow less than that probably 550 to 570cfm max.

Some are emmissions, some arent.

Edelbrock doesn't seem to make the extra big CFM carbs, but they have quite a selection.

Hmm, you might also conisder the vacuum secondaries vs. the mechanical ones. Most people think that you would want the mechanical secondaries so they will open up instantly when actually it is better for the vacuum of the engine to pull the secondaries open. Personally, I have an 600 edelbrock on my truck with a 350 vortec and I also have a street avenger 670cfm holley on my 383 (just cause that's what I had laying around) I am very pleased with both of them for their purpose. The edelbrock is really a plug and play unit while the holley performs well once you get the right springs in the secondaries and the floats adjusted (haven't messed with the jettings and probably never will) of course on both you have to adjust the idle mixture appropriately. As far as value goes, I paid a little under $50 for the edelbrock 600 on ebay and slapped it on as is and it worked great. Personally on a Holley, I would stay away from the sight glass (as opposed to the copper(?) sight plugs) with the holley because I've had some of them break.$.02