HybridZ

Transmission lengths

I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me the lengths of a T-56 and the 4l60e. The reason for this is because I'm wondering if someone were to switch between the two(switching over to the T-56), would the old driveshaft still work, or would I have to get a new one. I did a little search, but didn't find anything talking about the different lengths. Thanks for the help.

So what your saying is, if I start with the auto tranny, then drop in a t-56, all I have to do is shorten the driveshaft about 4 inchs(for an extra $300)? That doesn't sound to bad. If I go with the auto, the intial install will be easier. I was also thinking of getting an A/C delete pully, and worry about A/C later. It's getting a little cold around here, so I won't need that for awhile. The police crusier I got does have a couple extra coolers for the drivetrain, so maybe I can fit those in there somewhere. Well thanks for the info, that exactly what I was looking for. What shop do you go to Brandonz?

You need a new one, it should not cost more than $300, and of course you need a clutch pedal (pick and pull) and master (tilton 15/16 (my 7/8 is just barely enough) and clutch line Parker can help, pm me for an email contact, custom made I paid $60 but I knew the salesman. Then you'll have to modify your console a little to fit the stick, I recommend the aftermarket T-56 then you don't need the adapter for the LT1 and below, if you have an LS1 no prob. Then figure a short stick (I welded up mine custom) or a shift kit to screw a knob on, because the stock shifter does not have a knob attachment and short (really short) shift sticks are not easy to come by. Of course the mounting is different too, and no doube a biger bellhousing if you use Lakewood, more pounding.

That's all, it's easy, try not to get overwhelmed.

So what your saying is, if I start with the auto tranny, then drop in a t-56, all I have to do is shorten the driveshaft about 4 inchs(for an extra $300)? That doesn't sound to bad. If I go with the auto, the intial install will be easier. I was also thinking of getting an A/C delete pully, and worry about A/C later. It's getting a little cold around here, so I won't need that for awhile. The police crusier I got does have a couple extra coolers for the drivetrain, so maybe I can fit those in there somewhere. Well thanks for the info, that exactly what I was looking for. What shop do you go to Brandonz?

As for the shop, I used http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/, they didn't want to work with me cause I had a datsun, but with the little adapter from Stealth conversions they were able to just make me a driveshaft with the u-joint free on one end and the correct yolk on the other. You may not need all this though, you could probably get away with telling them what your u-joints are and what length driveshaft you need and they could make one up, but keep in mind you might want to give them your yolk becuase the balancing should be done with as much of the driveshaft intackt as possible, but the little adapter that Stealth sells is light enough that it didn't make any difference and I just pressed the thing on and it was a snap.

I have the T56 and the JTR diff adapter.

I took a junky driveshaft to the local truck shop and told them to shorten it..

They made me a perfect driveshaft for $250. The more I looked at it the more I realized there was not one part from the driveshaft I brought them..

Anyway, so for $250 I had a driveshaft made from scratch.

If you found a shaft at the junk yard it's only $150 to have it shortened and balanced...

Just don't forget to do the best job they need the trans input shaft and the adapator for the diff, they balance them all at the same time I guess..

Of course they did not tell me this on the phone, they waited until I got there...

I have the T56 and the JTR diff adapter.

I took a junky driveshaft to the local truck shop and told them to shorten it..

They made me a perfect driveshaft for $250. The more I looked at it the more I realized there was not one part from the driveshaft I brought them..

Anyway' date=' so for $250 I had a driveshaft made from scratch.

If you found a shaft at the junk yard it's only $150 to have it shortened and balanced...

Just don't forget to do the best job they need the trans input shaft and the adapator for the diff, they balance them all at the same time I guess..

Of course they did not tell me this on the phone, they waited until I got there...[/quote']

It's probably new, but if you want to spend another $50, you could get one that is balanced to 10k instead of 1500rpm like most shops will do, ask them when you buy.

• 3 months later...

So would the driveshaft off the 4l60E slide into a t-56? They both have the same sline count, so they should(just want to make sure I understand this correctly). If it does then I could just have the one I've got shortened, and have a new yoke for the diff put on.

So an update is needed. I've got the engine out of the cop car, and tore it down with the help of my roommate. Brought it over to a machine shop and had them look at it for me, you know, all the good. Got a rebuild kit from summit with hyper pistons .030 over. I talked to comp cams, and they suggested their 07-304-8, and new valvetrain parts. I've got isky springs good to .500 lift already though. Is this cam good for smog legel cars? The guy just said that it isn't guaranteed, but it should. And that doesn't give me warm fuzzies. Well that's it for now, thanks for your help.

Also depends which T56. Aftermarket GM is 27" + 6.290 bell housing (adapter + T5 bell), 93-97 LT1 is 26.4" + 4.882" bell, 98-00 is 26.4 + 5.531 bell. All are 27 rear spline. Best to take acccurate drive shaft yoke to yoke measurements after the engine and trans are bolted up. John

Actually' date=' to go from the 4L60E to the T56 you would have to lengthen the driveshaft. The 4L60E is longer than the T56.

"shortbed454 wrote: the length on the 4l60e is 30 3/4 and the length on the t56 is 26.37 both have the same spline count. hope this will help you."[/quote']

Are adding the bell housing to the T56? 26.37 or 26.4 as my reference is the case length w/o bellhousing. In all GM applications this will amount to over 31 inches with bell housing. John