HybridZ

Displacement Calculations

tfreer85

Okay I'm trying to figure out the displacement of a destroked engine.

Stock these are the specs:

Bore x Stroke = 93x82.7 mm

Rod Length =147 mm

Now I know that this is a 4.5L 274CI V8 motor. I know the formula for displacement is Bore^2 x Stroke x 0.7854 x number of cylinders. And for swept volume it is (bore/2) x (bore/2) x Stroke x pi. What I'm wondering is if i change the rod length to say 140 mm how do I calculate the new displacement? And what formula would I use??

On a side note though I doubt its possible but would you be able to mate a Crank diameter of 55mm to a Rod big end of 53 mm. I know you can bore/hone out the rod but it seems like it would weaken the strength of the rod significantly and I don't think its wise to remove 2mm. Also would it be an option to grind down the crank that 2mm's or would you run into the same problem of really weak and not really practical? Thanks for the help.

Tyson

Okay well the the displacement won't change, so scratch that. I guess it'll just drop compression. For an engine that isn't popular and has no aftermarket cranks out there how could you drop displacement? Sleeve the cylinders dropping the bore down and go with custom pistons?

Tyson

I think that the stroke would get +7mm of travel according to your proposed 140mm rods... This would up the displacement, and lower compression unless heads were changed. That is assuming you want to keep the same crank. But to destroke i am under the impression that you would want to get a crank with less travel/radius and then match it to longer rods to keep the compression sane but also lower stroke.

How exactly would that increase displacement? Going from a longer rod to a shorter rod? I figured it'd drop compression' date=' but like i said there aren't any aftermarket cranks that i know of, unless you know of one for the VH45DE.

Tyson[/quote']

Because it wouldn't. I am silly and assumed a shorter rod would increase stroke but i wasn't thinking :P