HybridZ

my new performance numbers, how to make lower?

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

ok, i got out my g-force pro the other day and did some testing in my 81 N/A. The car is totally stock w/ the exception of a K&N filter, as far as i know. it is also an auto (GRRR). Here are the results:

0-60: best time of 7.68

60-0: 165 ft.

1/4 mi: 15.6@91.9 mph

I am running 195/70/14 goodyears, and i managed a very minimal amount of wheelspin on a 4000 rmp launch. I would like to get a little bit lower numbers, but I have very little money. What do you suggest I look into changing for the best improvement for the dollar? Thanks

If that thing is accurate, I would say your car runs pretty strong.

I would do a header and exhaust, and you can mill the head and raise the compression.

Also a torque converter out of a turbo trans is supposed to stall higher. You can also swap the differential to a 3.90, and if you can find the auto out of a maxima with overdrive, you could swap that in.

Or put a 5 speed in it.

Guest bastaad525

No offense, but I'm inclined to think that, in this case at least, that Gtech is not giving you an accurate number. I had an '80 280zx with a 5 speed and a lot of go-fast engine work done, also a lightened flywheel and racing clutch, K&N intake and headers and all that jazz... and was barely able to pull off a 14.8 at the track, and THAT was considered pretty good compared to other N/A Z's and ZX's. I can't see how a pretty much stock car with an auto trans could be barely more than .5 seconds behind... and anyways didn't bone stock 5 speeds do 16-something??? Anyways *shrug* if you want that car to be anything like 'fast' and you're gonna stick with the auto trans, try to find a turbo motor. It's my understanding that turbo automatics are actually FASTER than 5 speeds when it comes to the ZX. Then do as Lockjaw suggested and find yourself a Maxima four speed auto and 3.9 rear end, and you can have yourself a seriously fast car.

Originally posted by LoneInAZ:

" turbo automatics are actually FASTER than 5 speeds when it comes to the ZX"

Actually automatics are almost always faster in ALL drag cars. its all about constant power delivery, clutch cars no matter how fast you shift coast for a few milliseconds at least (probably more longer than that actually). Granted you get more slip so you may lose a bit more power, but a built automatic is almost always consistently faster.

As mentioned a bit more stall wouldn't hurt, lower gearing to get it off the mark faster and the above mentioned speed tricks should shave some time. Nitrous, two bottles smile.gif would also help considerably, the ZX is heavier and the N/A isn't exactly a firebreather HP wise.

Regards,

Lone

But there is no such thing as an automatic sportscar

:D just kidding.

Sorry but I don't buy the auto ZX turbo is faster than the 5 speed. Not a stock one anyway. Maybe with more hp I would buy it.

The maxima auto will not live for long behind a turbo engine. They are limited to about 200 HP, and the turbo makes 180 stock, and can make 240 with a couple of mods.

I think I want to borrow that G tech and run my car with it.

Guest Anonymous

I was speaking in terms of drag racing, perhaps I should have qualified it as such. ZX, thats your guys bag and you'd know way more about it than I. But I would contend that a kitted auto would be as quick or at least more consistent if you can find one that holds the power. I'm almost sure there is someone here thats running a Jatco tranny thats kitted behind some sort of L6.

As far as automatic sportscars, perhaps you'd like tell Scottie-Gnz that? :D Kidding as well.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by LoneInAZ:

As far as automatic sportscars, perhaps you'd like tell Scottie-Gnz that? :D Kidding as well.

Regards,

Lone

:D Is he a drag car or sportscar? That's a fine line there.

If the 3 speed auto came with same gearing as 5 speed, it'll be faster but since the 5 speed came with better gearing plus more gears, the 5 speed is faster. Lone you are right about the auto shifting faster than 5 speed. Unless the manual trans gears were cut straight, no clutch and powr shift it ;)

Guest comeandzpa

what it comes down to is consistancy. let me repeat that, CONSISTANCY. in a drag race, you are going to get the same shifts out of an auto tranny, whereas w/ a stick there is room for human error. w/ the new technology in the automatic trannies, the auto is most likely to be faster anyway unless your last name is Schumacher, because human shifting is much slower than the autos. Therefore, an auto Z going against the same Z but w/ a manual tranny would be more consistant, but NOT necessarily faster/slower, it depends on the driver. As for my slightly lower-than-expected 1/4 time, i re-inspected my test course. The part that I used for the 0-60 test was flat, but after that there was a VERY slight downhill, so my time would prob. be more like a 15.8 or 15.9. malebitchslap.gif Also, my 60-0 braking was 165, which I find to be rather good judging by the primitive (by today's standards) brake system. 2 years ago, a brand new hyundai took 145....hmm. fmad.gif

Guest Anonymous

" turbo automatics are actually FASTER than 5 speeds when it comes to the ZX"

Actually automatics are almost always faster in ALL drag cars. its all about constant power delivery, clutch cars no matter how fast you shift coast for a few milliseconds at least (probably more longer than that actually). Granted you get more slip so you may lose a bit more power, but a built automatic is almost always consistently faster.

As mentioned a bit more stall wouldn't hurt, lower gearing to get it off the mark faster and the above mentioned speed tricks should shave some time. Nitrous, two bottles smile.gif would also help considerably, the ZX is heavier and the N/A isn't exactly a firebreather HP wise.

Regards,

Lone