HybridZ

Temporary metal covering

WickedWild

Throughout the winter I’m going to be working on the body of the Z. They question I have is there something I can use to protect the bare metal I expose between now and when it goes in for paint. I’m welding the rivet holes shut, shaving the door handles, side markers, drip rails, fuel filler door, and hopefully sub-frame connectors. It will be 4-6 months before it is primered and painted and from previous experience I know it only takes a couple weeks for surface rust to form on the bare metal. I was thinking of WD-40 or a metal prep that can be wiped clean before primer. Suggestions?

I would shy away from a penetrating oil like WD 40... I use a temporary light coating of rattle can black primer on the bare surface with periodic inspections on my GTO project. Later on when you are sanding, the black will indicate as low spots when block sanding the other prmer. Bare metal can be chemically etched to adhere the primer also

Funny, I was talking with the guys at my paint supplier and asked about what primer I should use on the car I'm picking up. It has a slight rust spot on the roof and I wanted to sand and primer it before it got too cold. They told me that primer is porous and it will not prevent rust. They recommended primering it then spraying with a rattle can that was close.

I'll post more about the car when I get it in the driveway next week (it's not a Z) 'till then, I'll leave you hanging.

Hope that helps

- Joe

as was suggested. primer is not water proof or water resistant.

any moisture will seep through, this includes dew or sweat on a tarp. moisture under the car evaporates upward, collects on the tarp, migrates around the tarp.

in the evening, cool air causes it to condense, sweats on the car.

you need to use a sealer of some sort.

go to local automotive paint store ( check yellow pages or stop by body shop and ask where the shop gets paint from and why you want to know ), they have high quality primers and sealers in rattle cans.

be advised that most sealers are only for locking in the vapors and chemicals from the previous paint job, to stop them from mixing in with your new paint job. in general, they are not meant to keep water off the metal.

again, head to automotive paint store, not home depot or kragen.

if none in town, call one ask your questions. most of the guys are car people and are usually willing to dish out advise even if you don't shop there.