HybridZ

Pulls Left When Braking *NON Z*

I have a 1992 Ford explorer, and sometimes it pulls left in varying degrees of intensity when braking. It is non abs upfront, but does have abs in the back. It just happens sometimes, when i get more into the brakes it is usually more pronounced, but 80% of the time it is normal balance, then 20% this pull occurs. Very strange. It could also be the rear drums needing adjustment, but even after revering and stopping several times the problem was still there. We bled the brakes. Checked pads in front and they are about equal. Could it be suspension geometry issues (the car drives straight)? I think it is most likely a stuck piston of sorts though. The left front wheel locks up way before the right front when this happens. Thanks guys.

Could be something as simple as rust built up where the pads sit, sometimes grooves wear into these spots and the pads can't move easily.

Could also be rusted slide pins. But if it happens once in a while..hmm have you noticed if it happens after driving / braking alot? Try and get the brakes hot and see if it happens.

To be sure that pressure is the same at both front wheels you could get a pressure gage and check each side. Maybe a prop valve getting stuck...but I would think that would effect both sides...

Something as simple as a low tire can cause pull as well, which is more noticeable during breaking.

I agree that most of the time is is one caliper with less clamping force than the other, but also jack up the front and check for play on the ball joints and wheel bearing. To check:

Wheel bearings: Grab the wheel at 12 O'Clock and 6 O'Clock and push/pull.

Ball joints: Grab the wheel at 2 O'Clock and 8 O'Clock and push/pull.

Excellent advice, I just checked the autozone and kargae websites. Rebuild calipers are only $16 a side! unloaded. Just out of curiosity does anyone know of a 2 or 4 piston caliper that will bolt up to the car. Also, if a two piston caliper and a four piston caliper are hooked up to the same system, what is the difference in claming force? Or is it the same, just a difference in force spread.

I put my money on a stuck piston one side. I had the same problem and it was a stuck piston. Unbolt the caliper and take a clamp and try to press the piston in as if you were changing the pads, if it doesn't budge, get a new claiper. Be careful that it's not one of those pistonss that need to be turned to retract.