HybridZ

LT1 280zx run at track... bad times

Well I just got back from my school track day at speedworld. I only got two runs in all day due to a 22 year old fusible link giving up the ghost. What was even worse was that it happened just before getting on the track for the beginning of bracket racing. Got to the front and my windows wouldn't roll up! Nooooooo. I was disqualified. The other two earlier runs I was having tranny problems. First run the tranny would take forever to shift into 3rd. 1st to 2nd was nice and firm.. then third would take forever after manual shifting and I hit the 5500 rev limiter. Then I had to let off... wait then it would shift ever so slowly and not firm at all. Here's a picture of my launch and then time slip.

newcamera_029.jpg

timeslip1.jpg

I know this car has to be in the high 14's at least because I got off the gas for a while for it to shift to 3rd. What do you all think of the 60 ft times? I don't really know much about reading these time slips. I know my reaction time was horrible. My Second run was horrible. At the start I sat there and smoked the right rear tire and got a 3.522 60ft time then it wouldn't shift again and I ended up with a 18.589 @ 77.493mph.

My next class is transmissions and it starts on Monday. Time to fix the 4L60e tranny now.

It's the pits when you only get a couple runs but at least you were out there. The 60' wasn't that bad and like you said if you hadn't let off you would have probably made it into the 14's. I would expect the mph to be in the 90+ range on a stockish 350 with a good transmission. Hope your tranny rebuild goes well. Norm

Damn I had the same problem with my old tranny and I believe ZFAN did too at one point. I yanked that B**** out of there and replaced it with a new one and higher stall and MAJIC happened!!! .5 in the 1/4 by just matching the convertor to my cam profile...

Terry

Well sorry you had such trouble. An LT1 should go alot faster than the times you got (I had 1300 stall was supposed to give me 2500, and did 89.5 mph in 1/8 with a 224/232 cam). Look at it this way you got the worst out of the way. Is the engine an iron headed LT1?

At a minimum you can reprogram the ECU to fix your shift points, add pressure to transmission to improve firmness, and a dew other minor changes will make a huge difference.

Email me I might e able to help you some off line

Rebuild the tranny and add a converter matched to your cam selection. You need drag radials to hook up and a LSD rear diff. would help. That said when I rebuilt the tranny and ran a 2300 rpm stall with a r200 with 354 gears and BFG drag radials, 235/60-15 I went 12.30 at 113 with a very mild built 350.

There is hope for your combo. Take your time and think things thru and ask plenty of questions. Maybe PM Grumpy as he has kindly spent time with me thinking things thru!

The best of luck and keep us informed!

Mike

Guest lukes280

This may be a little off topic, but you mentioned matching the stall converter to the cam profile. im in the middle of building my "355zx" the engine is currently being bored .030 over and the tranny is sitting on a table(700r4), i imagine this would be the easiest time to change the torque converter if i had to. how exactly does someone match them up? my combo came out of a truck so i imagine a different stall converter would be ideal? oh yea, and is a shift kit worth the money?

Luke