HybridZ

5 lug hubs.. question about offset for custom wheels for these hubs.

Guest ON3GO

Im about to order my wheels from Work and i wanted to figure this all out.

I DONT have the hubs yet, sorta broke right now to get them but i thought maybe somebody would know.

I want to get the Modern Motorsports 5 lug hubs, i also want to get Ross's Extreme big brake kit.

The Hulk is getting upgraded in a big way!!!

anyways the wheels im gonna order now are these.

http://www.worksuperwheels.com/wheels/equip_01.html

but in the 5 star version one, and the sizes i want are 18x13 and 18x10 front.

The Flares i have are wider then normal ZG flares, there the rare'er Work Style ZG overfenders. and i was told there about 2 or so inchs wider then reg ZG's.

i think i should get the flares and the hubs 1st so i can do some measuring but the flares are being made and the hubs i just dont have the money for right now. the wheels im getting a good price on and i gotta do it now before the deal goes away.

most people run about -6 for the front and -19 for the rear... now what effect does the 5 lug hubs change from stock? and since the flares are a tad wider how would i go about that?

my ronal 15x11's are something insane - offset ( i forget) and those stick pass reg ZG's by about 2 inchs.... maybe a tad less. i think its -20 something offset.

mike

I love those wheels. As for the correct offset, I am not sure but I believe that Ross's 5 lug conversion is the same as the stock Z offset. The 5 lug with the big brake kit however uses the Z31 front hubs which changes the offset. From Ross's site:

"Offset of the Z31 hub is 3/4" greater than stock OEM 4 lug 240Z and 280Z hubs."

So basically if your 2" wider then a regular ZG flare which I believe adds ~1.5" per side, you are looking at 3.5" per side wider. With regular ZG flares and a 8.5" wide wheel in the back you would run a 4" back space. With a 13" wide wheel I think you could run a 6.5" back space in the rear.

For the front, with a 10" wide wheel, you should be able to use a 5.5" backspace with the Big brake kit and still be ok. I would check around first though to be sure.

I have a few questions regarding the Work ZG flares:

1) Where can I get a set?

2) How good is the quality on these parts?

Thanks man!

The Work ZG's are real, but im getting a copy made in Carbon Fiber and slightly modified to fit better. I wont recieve them for sometime but when i do ill post pics.

mike

• 3 months later...
Guest iskone

Those are killer wheels!!!What Montoya said sounds good but it wouldn't work. I've never heard of anyone running that much BS on a Z, even with coilovers. The way your going to have to figure your BS is to determine the maximum BS you can run with your setup. Once you know the max BS add the BS and the distance from your hubs to your flares and you've got a rough idea of how wide a wheel you can run. Once you can find out what how much to add for the lip you can get a very good idea, eg: 13" wide wheel is really 14" wide from some manufacturers and 13.75" from others.

IIRC a 13" wide wheel from work gives you 5.7" of BS with something like a 5-6" lip. These were the sizes available from the sheet I use to have, and probably wrong since I never remember anything right. I got the number of 5.7" of BS by finding a guy here and a guy there that got about the same number with a little work to make it fit the supension.

BTW, I've been digging the 03's lately. Imagine those on my resurected white 72'

Isk

I have a set of 15x10" wheels with 5 3/16" BS.... these just clear the threaded strut tubes with short rear coilover springs...

I realize that a bigger wheel will allow a little more backspacing.... but only another 1/2" or so.....

I have a set of 15x10" wheels with 5 3/16" BS.... these just clear the threaded strut tubes with short rear coilover springs...

I realize that a bigger wheel will allow a little more backspacing.... but only another 1/2" or so.....

Are you running 8" or 10" springs? Reason I am asking is I am setting my ride up now for coil overs with large rear tires and I want to clear the rear springs/collers.

Thanks

Mike