HybridZ

L28et timing

big-phil

What are you trying to do? Just set the stock timing on your ecu? Or are you installing an aftermarket ecu? Also what kind of timing light do you have just a static one or do you have one that can be adjusted or advanced? Are you installing the distributor for the first time or just redoing the timing.

Don't pay any attention to that bit with the alighnment rod. It is only useful to set the distributor up for the first time. Just adjust the timing the way you would in any other car.

Hookup a timing light and loosen the two 10mm bolts holding the dizzy.

Unplug the TPS sensor and use a small wire to cross the two terminals on the TPS plug. (this will take the ecu out of idle mode and allow the proper timing to be read)

Turn the dizzy untill you reach the desired timing points.

Tighten the dizzy bolts.

Re-check timing to make sure the dizzy didn't move during your bolt tightening.

I don't recall the timing degrees it says in the book, however.. you may want to play around with advancing it further a little bit at a time. Every time checking that there is no knock under heavy throttle. I know with my z31 ecu I was able to have the timing so advanced that the marks where about 10 degrees right off the scale. Of course the car had ALOT more pickup with those settings. Not sure how the L28et ecu will react, but you may want to look into it.

OK the timing is a little off the scale right now. Its down past the bottom of the scale. It seems to run good, no knocking under boost, so I guess its ok.

I was having trouble with cold starting, but found that a couple hoses were bent so far as to pinch them off. Fixed that and it started great this morning.