HybridZ

302 dies in reverse...

SuperKid

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. It's about a Ford V8, but it's not in a Z so... I'll ask the question and if it's in the wrong place, could someone please move it? Thanks.

I've got a 1990 F150 with the 302 EFI. When I start the truck up in the morning, I let it warm up. I forget the reason, but when you first start it up when it's cold, the engine revs high for about 45-60sec, then slows down to idle. I usually wait for this to happen, then I put it in reverse, and it dies. Then, I start it up again and it goes through the same routine, revs for about 45-60sec, then slows to idle. I put it in reverse, and it's fine. It only dies after it's been sitting a while (usually overnight) and only when going into reverse. I'm not sure if this is an electrical problem, an engine problem, or a transmission problem. The truck has 104,XXX miles and AOD transmission. Can anyone figure out why it dies and how I can fix it? Thanks for any help.

Well, the brand name has a lot to do with it, they are noted for dying, but it sounds to me like it might be a vacuum leak.

I like ford, never had a problem with them. Can you please not bash on someones car when they already have a problem with it. I don't think many people would appreciate me going to the chevy forum, or anyother for that matter, and simply saying that all their problems are due to the brand, when it isn't something that can easily be changed. Thanks