HybridZ

Hatch landing repair. 56k beware.

MusPuppis

Some before, during and after pics of the repair I had to do to the hatch landing on my Z. One corner was rusted through and had to be replaced. First time ever really doing this sort of repair. I put a more detailed write-up on my website, but wanted to post here and see what poeple think.

I made the replacement peice out of 16g sheet I had laying around. The bends were a pain in the ***.. I dont even have a bench vise.. I had to kinda improvise a bending setup using bricks, anger and a torch, heh.

Welding the Z metal with Flux Core is a really great way to make yourself angry by the way.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with out it came out. When I shoot the primer in a month or so the repair will hopefully be invisible. I apologize ahead of time for the poor pics.. I'm no good and my camera isnt good enough to make up for my lack of ability. Some of the pics of the blending and filler work make it look wavy.. when in reality its pretty durn straight. I spent 4 1/2 hours on the filler =/

Pics of the cancer -

HatchRust.jpg

Carnage3.jpg

Carnage.jpg

Cut out -

CutOut.jpg

New peices tacked in -

TackedStraight.jpg

TackedSide.jpg

Blending -

Bondo2.jpg

GuideCoat.jpg

Bondo4.jpg

Ready for primer -

RearFinal3.jpg

RearFinal2.jpg

It looks like you took your time and did it right. Good job. What kind of filler is it?

For bending, I use c-clamps and tighten sheet metal down between two strips of angle iron, so you an get a relatively sharp edge. A simple propane torch helps, as does an adequately "big" BFH. This pic shows the idea. The angle is on the edge of the desk, and I used a piece of 10 gauge on top instead of angle. The sheet is already bent in this picture.

IM001062.sized.jpg

That looks familiar!! Nice work!!! Yeh flux core sux core but it does the job. Glad to see you painted the welds quickly as they will rust if not painted.

If you heat the metal as mentioned make sure you heat it slow and low (annealing)...propane could actually make the metal harder to bend if you get it too hot too quick.

What kind of filler is it?

Ultimate Bondo! Basicly the best filler the Advanced by my house had on tap. Its MILES better than the normal pink bondo crap but (though I havent ever worked with it) I'd say a few yards short of the "real" stuff.

edit, BY the way, The site is now updated. I thought I had it done last night but I wasnt paying attention and I uploaded to the wrong friggen folder, lol