HybridZ

Vg30dett in a 1986 300zx

Guest SamIam

I haven't been able to find much on this topic, but I do have a 86 300zx and I am looking for a engine that has parts availble and cheap. I am a college student and don't have a lot of money for the rb26dett swap nor do I have the money for the performance parts. I was just woundering whether or not anyone has done the VG39dett swap before in a Z31 and the how difficult this swap is.

The VG30DETT isn't really that much cheaper than a RB26DETT. Its is the better engine for all out torque and power in my opinion, but it would definitely be expensive. It really just depends on what you want though.

The VG30ET in the Z31 turbo are pretty strong engines and can make more than enough power for daily driving and even some track days. What exactly are you wanting to use the car for?

My car would really be more of a show off car and rarely taken to the track but I would want my car to be fast and handle acceptionally well. I've herd that the VG30dett will make my car handle very badly because it is so heavy. But I thought that installing the engine would be cheaper and easier to get to get parts.

The VG30DETT's are definitely quite heavy. If memory serves, a couple hundred pounds heavier than the VG30ET.

If it were me I'd do the VG30ET. You can get quite a bit of power out of it for the car to be very fun and not have to spend nearly as much as you would doing the TT swap.

You might check out http://www.z31.com for some really good info on the VG30ET. You can search around on the main site and the forum for pretty much all the info you need.

• 3 weeks later...
My car would really be more of a show off car and rarely taken to the track but I would want my car to be fast and handle acceptionally well. I've herd that the VG30dett will make my car handle very badly because it is so heavy. But I thought that installing the engine would be cheaper and easier to get to get parts.

What suspension do you have? If you're still running stock suspension then you're so far ahead of yourself it's not funny. I dropped almost 4gs into my suspension setup and I can turn corners pretty much at any speed I want regardless of how heavy the motor is. If you want improved handling and have no money then get out now...