HybridZ

rear disk dilemma

new rear idea:

1) 87 maxima brakes and rear 84 300zx na rotor; 11.4" solid rotor

2) 93 mustang brakes and front 84 300zx na rotor; 10.83" vented rotor

would the loss of 0.57" be worth the gain in a vented rotor and additional pad area? i have both caliper and bracket sets. i'm just looking for different points of view on the rotor opotions.

I don't think it will be so much of an issue as it would be on the front as the front brakes will take the brunt of the braking (and heating). The larger diameter solid rotor has a larger swept area and leverage, but it will not dissipate the heat as effectively as the vented. Unless you get down to the science and numbers of braking forces and heat dissipation, I don't know that the difference is appreciable.

This spreadsheet might help you: http://sth2.com/Z-car/Brakemath.xls

I don't really think the 1/4" difference in the two rotor setups is going to be that dramatic, in fact it might be that the increased pad area of the Mustang setup gives it more bias than the Maxima setup would have (I'm assuming the pad is bigger BTW, don't know that for sure). Once you know for sure you should be able to figure it out with the spreadsheet. If you don't have numbers, look online. I was able to find all of the parameters I needed except coefficient of friction for the pad, for which I used .4. Set the masters to the same size, unless you're running a dual master setup.