HybridZ

cold spell not slowing me down

mobythevan

Well, I just came in from the garage and it is 4 below outside. With the wood stove in the garage it was 75 in there. Man it is nice to have a heated work area. I have been able to get a ton of fab work done in the last three weeks since it started getting colder and dark early. It cost me a bit of time and money up front to install the stove and insulation, but it has really paid off the last two winters. Also helps to have no cable TV and live out in the sticks. Not much to do but work on the car. The wife has even been out there every night holding steel in place so I can weld it easier. I have been building an entire new frame structure for the body of my 34 pontiac. It took about 70 hours just to remove all the old wood before starting the fab of the new steel. I like the way it is coming together. And I thought fixing rust in the 240z was bad.

If you want to see more I have been keeping a journal over at hottrodders site, not z stuff but pretty fun

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=23205

S_Picture_002.jpg

Looks like quite a turn around for that car. Looks awsome so far man!

I feel like I shouldn't complain about our winters anymore. It got down to 34F last night!!! Lucky us we have a wood stove and cut down a tree last summer ;)

I stays toasty. I can't even imagine working outside in out winters though. Heated space is a must.

I know what you mean about the weather! Brrrr, it's like 65 when I get home but when I pull the z in the garage it pretty much warms it up to 70 with just the heat of the engine and exhaust after I turn it off of course. And it gets dark so early, I have to turn the lights on at like 5:30 and it's dark by 6:30, well dark in a comparitive sence it's not like you need a flashlight to walk the dog in the city at night anyway.

Seriously, 4 below what??? I think the coldest I ever was here was 40. Although there is frost on the cars in the morning. so it must get colder at least on the cars, but you could walk out without a jacket, it's not like 32 in the air for sure.

Big project, I hope you stay at it!

he is a clip from the paper today:

An overnight low record was set when the temperature dipped to 15 below zero around midnight, breaking the previous record for this date, of 14 below in 1978.

Not only was the record broken, but it's the coldest it's been in Colorado Springs since Feb. 3, 1996, when the low was 18 below, National Weather Service meteorologist Larry Walrod said.

The wind chills overnight and this morning ranged between 20 below and 30 below zero.