HybridZ

Rust question...

Well, looks like my rust problem is worse than I thought... I started out with no rust a few years ago and the car set outside for 5-6 years.. water came in and you know the chemical reation. I started taking off the tar deadener from the inside of the car and here is the extend of my rust problem.

1. Small patch on drivers floor pan.

2. Couple patches on passengers side floor pan.

3. Passenger side seat mounts need to be replaced.

Almost all of the rust is where the tar sound deadener has gaps or was not placed.

Frame rails are good, battery area is good an every other rust prone area is good.

What is the best way to fix this... cut out old metal and weld new patches in place where the rust is??

What about the seat mounts... can you buy them??

Here are some pics of the passenger side... The drivers side I can fix pretty easily.

In pic 1 you can see that the rear mount already has started disentegrating on the back side...

One good thing about it being cold is the tar crap chips off pretty easily. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Given the extent of that rust, I dont know that patching would be the best idea. I'd just hack em out and replace them completely. Either make your own from some 16-18g and buy the Bulldog rails (ive heard nothing but good things about their fitup and quality) or make it all yourself if you have the tools and such. 2x3 14g square tube will make some stupidly solid subframe connectors, hehe.

I'll be making all my own stuff - mainly due to my natural contraryness. (sp?)

As to the seat mounts, a trip to a junk yard with a sawz-all could net you a nice new (to you) set and I bet it wouldnt set you back much. I got a quote around here for whole floors, and everything attached for like 50$ if I cut it out myself.

I'd say you could make some new mounts pretty easily though. Keep your rusted ones for measurements and reference of course, but the Z floors are nice and open, relatively flat as well. Makes for a decent surface to work with.

My car now:

CabPrime2.jpg

My car before (other side was actually worse.. lol):

z7.jpg

Actually, the front mount is salvageable.. only minor rust on it..

The rear mount is the bad one..it HAS to be replaced.

Its amazing that where the tar was no rust got through it..still clean metal.

I'll probably put in some subframe connectors since I am going to be working in the vicinity anyway.