HybridZ

240sx wheels on 280z???

Guest hegan1956

Guest hegan1956

Hi people, I'm looking into upgrading my wheels without going out to rob a bank. Wheels for the Z seems hard to find in the application indexes, but 240sx which has the same bolt patern and offset are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. I'm also a junk yard scavenger as well so I see a lot of good wheels and tin out there. So my question is this, does anyone know if the wheels are interchangable between the two cars? Can I buy sx wheels and expect them to fit on my z? I know someone has asked this before, but when I ran a search I got so much back on sx brake conversions that I gave in and asked for help. SO HELP!:)

Sam

the 240sx does not have the same offset! the sx uses a high positive offset the z uses a zero or a very low positive depending on wheel width, keep your eyes on the classifieds here and at other z sites and keep an eye on ebay and you'll find plenty of inexpensive options

the 240sx does not have the same offset! the sx uses a high positive offset the z uses a zero or a very low positive depending on wheel width, keep your eyes on the classifieds here and at other z sites and keep an eye on ebay and you'll find plenty of inexpensive options

i hope you are not refering to aftermarket wheels..stock wheels yes they are high. its a 6" +40 for the stock alloys. it would fit but it wouldnt look that great, sunk like a battleship. but a S13 ( 89-94 ) you can fit 9's on the back with about a +5-10 with a little bit of fender rolling and a little camber and obviously with some blistered fenders you can fit a much wider wheel. and S14's ( 95-98 )you can fit 10's easily no problem. 11's need a pretty low offset and some rolling with camber. its all about the correct offset when it comes to width.

but 240sx's arent civic's, 17x7 +40 wheels are highly looked down upon in the 240 world. most people will tell you 8" or higher in the back. and 7.5-9.5 for the front. depending on s13 or s14. and offests below 30 are recommended.

Guest hegan1956

So let me get this straight, the wheels will fit but have a odd offset, but will allow a larger tire combo. I can also run stock sx 15" wheels if I use a 1" spacer and arp extra long studs. Now if I'm wrong please set me straight. I trying to do this on a very small budget and know where I can get 15X7" aluminum sx wheels from what I believe is a 91. I had Classic Rewind 15X7 wheels orderd from Motorsports, but they've been back ordered twice and will not be here until mid-Jan if then, and I refuse to pay $800 to $900 for wheels on a daily driver. On e-bay sx wheels are easy to find and fairly cheap, z wheels aren't and are usually expensive when I've found them. I started looking at different wheel sites and found one that had wheel fit data that showed the z, zx, and sx all shared the same bolt patern and same low offset. So I thought sx wheels would fit.

So let me get this straight, the wheels will fit but have a odd offset, but will allow a larger tire combo. I can also run stock sx 15" wheels if I use a 1" spacer and arp extra long studs. Now if I'm wrong please set me straight. I trying to do this on a very small budget and know where I can get 15X7" aluminum sx wheels from what I believe is a 91. I had Classic Rewind 15X7 wheels orderd from Motorsports, but they've been back ordered twice and will not be here until mid-Jan if then, and I refuse to pay $800 to $900 for wheels on a daily driver. On e-bay sx wheels are easy to find and fairly cheap, z wheels aren't and are usually expensive when I've found them. I started looking at different wheel sites and found one that had wheel fit data that showed the z, zx, and sx all shared the same bolt patern and same low offset. So I thought sx wheels would fit.

the SX wheels arent 15x7 they are 15x6 +40. all 89-98 (s13-s14) 4 lug alloy wheels were 15x6. the 5lug alloy SE wheels on 95-98 (s14) are only 16x6.5 +40....plus i think the SX wheels would look horrid on an S30....

Guest Phil1934

Here's wheels. http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelFAQ.htm Note they say use Nissan lug nuts with Nissan mag wheels. So you may have to hunt to find something to work with RX7 studs. If you use Nissan racing studs they are something like $6 or $8 each. I did 300ZX wheels and the cost of eight 1/4" spacers and racing studs in the rear and Quest studs up front was nearly the cost of wheels. If you want to do it cheap look for wheels with matching offset.

You can run the RX7 studs with a Toyota 4 Runner lug nut. That's what I did for a long time. The shank diameter is correct for the Nissan wheels, but the Toy lug nut has the 12 x 1.5mm threads.

EDIT--I should probably also say that I just went to a tire store and they had a whole bunch of them from rim swaps, they charged me $5 for 16 nuts...