HybridZ

rebuild l28et or not?

73speed

hello everyone, I bought 72' 240z and the owner had planned a turbo swap but I guess he gave up, he gave me the engine in about 3 boxes, basicall completelly torn down, but he did throw in a set of rings and bearings, freeze plugs. I really want to acheive about 300 or so rwh and I know that is apparently possible but should I just try to get this motor together, since it's missing the harness, ecu and down pipe, or should I keep looking for another complete unit with tranny? what would you do?

Thanks

i would really get the complete engine. Picking up all the parts seperately can really add up and become a headache. Get a complete engine with all parts (if your not set on a turbo conversion it will be cheaper) and you will have everything you need, plus the spare parts you already have. Further down the road if you decide to, you can rebuild the longblock that you have and just swap it in with the parts you got off the "complete swap" engine. This would be the most cost and time effective option.

-Oliver

edit - I just read that you have everything except the tranny ecu and harness and DP. Depending on where you live, transmissions can be easy to pick up. (I can get one for about 60 bucks at my j/y and 150 if i'm feeling too lazy to pull it myself) Ecu's and Harnesses are very easy to come by, and if you're feeling creative a megasquirt system and harness will take care of that and give you programmability. Some members on this site will be willing to make you a "performance" downpipe for a reasonable price also. If you were missing the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors... etc, then I would get a complete engine with all those parts, but you're actually not that bad with the few parts you're missing.

I was thinking that it would probably better to get the whole thing complete. I actually do have the intake, injectors, exhaust manifold and turbo, but I'm wondering if it would make sense buying a complete unit if most likely the turbo will need to be replaced with new one, the injectors upgraded, megasquirt was my thought too. I'ts going into a 240z without the smog stuff at least whatever bare minimum that is needed to make this streetable and reliable. maybe it's asking too much for 300+ hp daily driver l28et huh?

I would just rebuild that motor and find a new tranny. Missing the ECU and stuff isnt a big deal, just go with Megasquirt and it won't be a problem. And as far as the DP, if your looking for more power the stock one is useless anyways. PeteZ on this site sells 2.5inch SS dp's. And 300whp is easy, with good tuning with something like MS it can be done with the stock turbo. But if your rebuilding that motor now you mine as well just go with a bigger turbo now since you don't know how many miles are on the old one.