HybridZ

Smells like gasoline on boost

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

The car=83 280ZXT, custom I/C, DSM BOV, modified POV, 67K miles, Greddy ProB, 18lb flywheel, 3 in exhaust/intake, adjustable FPR (7lbs over stock).

The problem-since I had the I/C work put on, whenever the car is in full boost, particularly at hwy. speeds, and I HAVE THE WINDOWS DOWN, even just an inch, I can smell gasoline odors blowing by. Letting off the throttle/boost makes it go away, but it's baaad enuf when my wife notices it!

What can I look for, and what can a pro do to isolate it? I haven't been running over 11psi, 14 last summer. I assume it's more difficult than just duct taping everything over!

I would bet it'd be much easier to trace if my wife would only stay underhood while I do hwy. boost mode?!

Thanks

John

Guest Loose_Screws
The same thing happened to me once when I had a slight leak in the fuel rail/injector hoses. Only the higher fuel pressure under boost would cause it to leak enough to be noticed.

Yep! Check your injector hoses or if you have o-ring setup, check those.

Do you have a FP gauge? You could actually be running too much fuel pressure under boost and getting waaayyy too much fuel.

Is the smell like gasoline from a gas pump or does it have a slightly different smell to it. Or third does it have a distinct burned smell to it. The first smell I would say fuel rails or fuel lines. The last would most likely be an exhaust leak probably manifold. The middle one could be a bit more tricky - head gasket streched, intake manifold leak, etc. You might be able to detect some of it by looking for fuel stains along your engine or engine bay. You could also take a small rubber hose and put one end near your hear and move the other end around your engine (while its running) to see if you hear any sucking noises (yes you can by a car stehtascope which is better and a good tool to have). If you do that is where you have a leak and under boost it would blow out not suck in. Hope that helps

Robert