HybridZ

I should be shot...

Wagz

...for committing such a rookie mistake!

Earlier this summer I bought a basket-case 260Z and have been slowly rebuilding/restoring it. Some of you might recall a post a while back where I was looking for good solutions to a busted head bolt. I got it Heli-coiled and got it running, but never got back to getting the carbs dialed-in, etc.

I parked it outside a few months ago so my wife could park her precious Maxima in the garage during the cooler months and I haven't had time to get back to finishing the car. For the last few months we've been gone every weekend working on a rental house we own in Eastern Washington and every week I've been traveling on business. This weekend is the first weekend I haven't been gone in almost two full months.

Annnyy wayyy, it very rarely gets too cold in Portland, OR. Rainy, yes. Frozen, rarely. Over the last few weeks we've had extended frozen weather and I'd completely forgotten about the decrepit little 260Z on the RV pad. That was mistake number two. Mistake number one was leaving it out there with nothing but straight water in the radiator. I always put straight water in a newly rebuilt engine until I know that there are no head gasket leaks, manifold leaks, etc. After I've verified it's all is good, then I drain it and add anitfreeze. We'll I forgot about it this time.

This morning I went out and looked under the car with some dread. Yep, sure enough there was a little frozen stream of water under the block. When I rolled the car back, I found a freeze plug on the ground. At least the plug did it's job. I hate it when I do stupid things. The plug is on the passenger side right behind the alternator so, it'll be easier to replace.

So, you think I'll get lucky and that's all the damage I'll have to repair? Nah, me neither. I'm such a moron...

Not ot compound your problems, but Z's need antifreeze to keep the head from corroding and to lube the water pump.

Yeah, I know. As far as I know most, if not all, cars depend on the anti-corrosion and lube properties of antifreeze. I never run any car on straight water for more than a few days after a rebuild. I just plain forgot about it. I deserve what I get on this one...

:twak:

Sorry to hear about your truck, Larry. What a pain...

I wouldn't mind having a spare motor to rebuild, but I have zero room for another car. My wife is pressuring me to get rid of one of the Z's to make some room. I don't even have room to bring home a freebie temporarily while I pull the motor. Thanks for thinking of me though!

Sorry to hear about your oversight, but remember. If we could be shot for rookie mistakes, chances are we would all be dead.

agreed, its going to happen, but some mistakes are more expensive than others :)

I could tell the story about how I got knocked on my arse after getting the ever loving crap shocked out of me when I palmed my dizzy trying to change the timing. I completely ignored the large gash in the spark plug boot.....duh.

...for committing such a rookie mistake!

So' date=' you think I'll get lucky and that's all the damage I'll have to repair? Nah, me neither. I'm such a moron...[/quote']

I think you will be lucky. I let My 76 280 freeze once (before the V-8. It popped all the Plugs out of the passenger side. Man it is tuff to get that one in the rear by the starter back in (screw jack from my 72 datsun pickup on its side LOL). Drove it three years before pulling the engine for the swap.

Sorry to hear about your oversight, but remember. If we could be shot for rookie mistakes, chances are we would all be dead.

LOL. Too true. If that were really the case, I'd have been dead many, many years ago.:redface:

So far, I haven't found any other issues. I got the car back in the garage and let it thaw out. I haven't really inspected it thoroughly yet. It's too damn cold and I was too lazy to fire up the propane heater and get on it today...

If you need an engine to tinker with you can have mine for free if you come pick it up.

Thanks. I would be interested. It never hurts to have a rebuildable spare. It's a bit of a hike down to your end of the state, but I may be able to do it in a few months if it's still available. I know I'll be going to Newport in early February. Maybe I can come a little further south then. I'll check with you after the new year. Just out of curiosity, which motor/head combo is it?