HybridZ

GT35R or R34 twins?

busmn280

I am looking to do a turbo upgrade and was wondering if all u more experienced turbo dudes out there had any opinions on this: with money not being an issue, should I go with a GT35R single turbo or Skyline R34 GT-R twin turbos? The car is used for track days, autocross and occasional daily driving. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might be all to late, but when I was looking at turbos and had in mind a GT35R, I was advised to get the smaller .86 (think) front housing, as it would be much more responsive and have less lag than the stock 1.06.

As you say, money is no object, but if it was as in my case, I'm going with a VG30BB turbo on an 2818 L28ET engine. These late model ball bearing VG30 turbos flow about 30% more air for the same psi that a stock T03 bearing turbo.

'

Dennis in Oz

Dennis,

There is no `stock' GT35R. There are three different PNs for three different turbine housing sizes. 0.63, 0.82 and 1.06.

I went the 0.82 housing, but I've got a 1.06 waiting. A mate who races a RB30ET with GT35R said his car was completely undrivable with the 0.82. I haven't had it on the track with the 0.82 and a decent w/g spring, but I think he might be right. These things hit HARD.

Dave

I started with the .82 A/R housing and was getting spool at about 33-3500 rpm's, not to bad but not what it was like before.

I decided to go with the .63 A/R housing and that is more to liking. I have pressure at a much lower rpm level and it has worked out very well to this point. Running the car @ 8psi of boost, the transition from off boost to boost is almost transparent to me when I am driving the car. I like that, but keep in mind, I haven't turned up the boost to where it is going to go. So with that being said, I can see the transition from 175-200hp to 500hp or higher is a radical change in a very short rpm range. You may have difficulty keeping the tires planted to the pavement, and if you do, the pull will be very radical, but fun LOL.

Definitely Jeff. Sounds like the 0.63 is working well for you. :) We shall have to compare dynos at some point. You can definitely feel the car start to come alive at 3000 and then go nuts at just over 3500 in my car. Tis kinda fun. :D Pointless without semi slicks though. Wheelspin coming on in 4th is fun, but a tad dangerous.

Dave