HybridZ

Electric fuel pump location question

Guest WISCZ

I'm looking to mount an electric fuel pump into a 72, but having some difficulty deciding where to mount the pump and the filter under the chassis in the rear of the car by the fuel tank. I'm using the same stock gas tank with the pump, and there is limited space to mount it along with the filter.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight to where I might mount these? Or preferribly some pictures of your install.

Ed, I reviewed that thread but I am trying to fit a Walbro fuel pump and it lays horizontally with in/out lines through the ends of the pump. I don't think this bracket would fit what I am trying to do. Anyone else fit a similar pump at the rear of the car. Has any one had any sucess with placing the pump in the engine bay area?

If this is for a fuel injected engine, mount it near the tank. Those pumps don't like to lift fuel. I made a mounting plate from some aluminum sheet and placed it between the tank and the rear valence panel. Mounted the pump to that. It will give you plenty of room for the pump and filter. Sorry, no pictures. I did have to drop the tank to get everything up there. Once in place, it is out of sight and well protected.

It is fuel injected and thought others had attached the pump to the valance (Frame) on the fuel tank side. Have tried this but did'nt fit well, but your suggestion on mounting a plate to the frame( and then attaching the pump to it) sounds easy enough. Anyone else have any pictures or other mounting ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

My '77 had stock a bracket located between the RH side of the fuel tank and the suspension, on which the stock elecric pump and filter was mounted.

Using a fabricated replacement bracket in the same area, I was able to mount a Holley red pickup pump, a small surge tank, a Bosch EFI pump and a filter. So there is space there, its just a matter or working out how to locate everything so that the various fuel lines can match up.